harpcolumn

String Question. . .

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories String Question. . .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John McK
    Participant

Has anyone tried the “New Nylgut” strings by aquilacorde? Supposedly, they are stronger than the original nylgut and stretch less. I believe that they can be ordered in red and black.

I am getting tired of hearing the schproing of snapping gut strings on my harp (An early music harp). . . these sound like an interesting alternative.

I use nylgut on my lever harp. My replacement set is the ‘new nylgut’ that is stronger and with the off-white color instead of pure white. Since they do not break, it will be a year or so until I actually use those. I want to try their silkgut as well, which is supposed to be more harp-friendly. One advantage, or disadvantage depending on how you look at it, is that you need to get very well acquainted with your strings to use nylgut. There is no ordering by harp model and octave. I think they would suit you pretty well since anyone with an email address of wormdiet must be

carl-swanson
    Participant

I would love to see a table comparing the tension of each of the type of strings available. I would be concerned with any new string that the tension was so hight that it would play havoc with the soundboard and neck.

John McK
    Participant

🙂

The name is a reference to Martin Luther and the reformation – My history students needed a memorial name to contact me by email, it it just sorta stuck:) I am a history teacher by trade.

Since my harp is a German Renaissance harp, I suppose it fits. . .

John McK
    Participant

The website (and Mr. Peruffo, the company owner) claim that the NGH type of nylgut strings are specifically designed for early music harps – the string densities are engineered to correspond very closely to those of gut. Of course, it’s something of a gamble to try a little-known product, but the nylgut strings have a very good reputation for other types of music. The ordering form requests tension and loadout information for each string, so I take that as a good sign.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Nylgut is designed to have the same density as gut.

So it is historical…and here I thought you were all avant-garde since your post coincided with

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.