harpcolumn

String-changing tip

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories String-changing tip

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rosalind-beck
    Participant

Did you ever try to tie a knot in an upper register string that is just the exact length you need only to have it slip through the sound board hole before you can pull it back up and insert it through the tuning pin?

Jessica A
    Participant

Sometimes it’s easier to tie the knot and then stick the end up thru the board.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Rosalind- Great tip. Just make sure it doesn’t pull off and go clattering down the soundboard.

Jessica- if you’re replacing a string in the top 2 or 3 holes, it usually isn’t possible to insert it from the back.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Carl, thank you very much for your reply. I tried to position the clothespin carefully so that it would not pop off and hit the soundboard, and I made every effort to avoid applying any pressure as I tied the knot.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Rosalind- Something else just occurred to me. You could also start the whole process by tying a knot in the string and then threading it down through the hole. The knot will prevent it from going all the way through. When You have tied the knot on the other end of the string, you could then pull the string up and untie the first knot.

Minnesota Harpist
    Participant

Check your local $ stores- I managed to find some small, rubber covered clothes pins that I use for alot of things- none of which is hanging clothes- LOL.

Jessica A
    Participant

Oh, those up there, the teeny tiny top ones.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

I usually pray I won’t have to replace those strings.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Carl-Great idea!!

What a great idea! I wonder whether a tiny piece of masking tape at the very end would also be enough to prevent it from being pulled through the hole.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Elizabeth–thank you!

Tape would not stick against the pull of the string, but the clothespin is a great idea. When they are too short, I add a patch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.