harpcolumn

Stoney End Clairseach Harp or Other Wire Strung Harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Stoney End Clairseach Harp or Other Wire Strung Harps?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Deborah O.
    Participant

I am looking to get a wire strung harp in the future and would like some opinions on the Stoney End Clairseach Harp if anybody has one.

Geri McQuillen
    Participant

Hi!

The type of wire harp you choose will depend greatly on what type of music you want to play and how historically accurate you want your harp to be.

Karen Johns
    Participant

I can’t speak for others tastes, but I really like my Limerick harp from Musicmaker’s. I built this from a kit and my husband and I spent many enjoyable hours together putting it together. The new string set I will be installing will allow me to play from C below middle C to high G (26 strings) and are made from wound bronze, phosphor bronze, and steel. You can check out this model on http://www.harpkit.com . I have the walnut version. I play with my fingertips and am very non-traditional. I feel that if it sounds good to me and my listeners, then no worries :-)

One thing I have heard is that certain types of wire strings can be more brittle or delicate than others, so that may be a consideration for you. I think it may be the brass or bronze wires. Perhaps Audrey or Liam can chime in on this subject. I just know that the wound bronze and steel strings are pretty strong. I haven’t broke one yet and I don’t play lightly.

Happy Hunting!

Karen

tony-morosco
    Participant

When I think of good quality wire strung harps I immediately think of three names.

David Kortier

Jay Witcher

Glenn Hill

Each one is as much artist as instrument builder. If I were going to buy one my top choice would be to have Jay Witcher build me one just like the one he made for Patrick Ball. I have heard Patrick play live on many occasions and his harp is by far the best sounding wire strung harp I have ever heard.

BTW, Musikmakers and David Kortier are also Minnesota builders so you should be able to get ahold of all of them.

Jennifer

Deborah O.
    Participant

Thanks for all your replies.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Triplett harps used to make a wire strung harp specifically designed to play with the finger-pads. It had wider spacing and lower tension with a different sound board construction than their other wire strung harps.

Unfortunately they don’t make that model any more, but perhaps you can see if you can find a used one. The company might know of someone who has one they want to sell.

Karen Johns
    Participant

The Limerick model from Musicmaker’s has standard string

Deborah O.
    Participant

Karen….thanks for the sound sample link…they are wonderful.

I will have to get to Musicmakers and test drive the Limerick.

Dennis McKenzie
    Participant

You should check out Chis Caswells harps he studied under Jay Witcher back in the 70’s and makes wonderfull wire harps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.