harpcolumn

Special Edition Fullsicles

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Special Edition Fullsicles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    brook-boddie
    Participant

Hi, I have a question for anyone who has ever played a Harpsicle Special Edition Fullsicle. Rather than the standard maple, these harps are made of either cherry or walnut. They also come with the upgraded bass strings. My question is whether or not there is a significant sound difference in the Special Edition models vs. the standard models.

I have previously owned a standard Sharpsicle, but I’m just curious if the wood choice really does make a difference in sound. The Special Edition models are several hundred dollars more expensive. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Biagio
    Participant

Hi Brook,

IMO the upgraded bass strings make a significant difference, as the standard ones are too loose for a full volume and resonance. I don’t think that the wood choice has much effect on these, given the fairly light overall tension and narrow box; more of an aesthetic choice. So in your shoes I would order the straight-up maple Fullsicle but with the string upgrade.

Best wishes,
    Biagio

wil-weten
    Participant

There may be more difference between harpsicles of the second and the third generation than between the walnut/cherry versus the maple version.
    The third generation has longer bass notes, and so these strings feel less floppy. Relatively newer third generation harpsicles made of maple also have the right eyelets to put the upgraded bass strings on, which make them sound even less floppy.
    Beware though that the overall string tension remains very light.

brook-boddie
    Participant

Very good info, guys. Thanks for your input. I’m not crazy about the Harpsicle line in general, but I know they do fill a very important niche. I’m having some pretty severe back issues right now and was thinking about getting one for therapy work, but the sound/tension just worry me a bit. I appreciate your feedback.

Biagio
    Participant

Yeah and sorry to hear about you back pain Brook. Me too for a while…rest gentle stretching fixed it for me.

As you say, harpsicles fill a niche that was lacking and to some extent still is: a low priced reasonably good entry level lever harp. Caswell tried to fill that too with his Sweetharp and Musicmakers with the Smartwood too. You just run into hard physical limitations with anything over 4+/- octaves.

A good inexpensive double of of that size would be great but most still seem to be leery of making one or buying one for that matter. I made several (priced around $500)and they sounded great but it took a long time to sell them!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies