harpcolumn

Spare Strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Spare Strings

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Biagio
    Participant

About string history: boy that’s a huge subject! Gamut Music supplies strings for authentic early instrument reproductions and has several fascinating articles on how their strings are made. Just reading the gut manufacture article made me appreciate their price. Here’s the website:

http://www.gamutmusic.com/

On the used string topic: for one design collaboration we went through several string iterations (which is normal) but instead of pitching as usual I kept the wound and Savarez Alliance. Just keep looking at what must be several hundred dollars of basically new strings!

Eileen Mason
    Participant

I don’t want to sound harsh, however I believe that this needed to be a part of research prior to purchasing an instrument. No one has said that playing the harp was an inexpensive choice. Using one’s instructor as your string supplier isn’t fair to him/her. Part of being a harpist is learning to be responsible for all facets of maintenance and performance. If your daughter is too young to assume this responsibility, then it is necessary for you to step in and help until she is able to make decisions on her own. There is nothing wrong with working out solutions together – that is part of her education as well.

Whenever I broke a string during a performance I did not need the additional stress of having to figure out which string would be appropriate. I needed to note which was the broken string, go to my string bag, select it and put it on.

Whenever someone has asked me about the maintenance aspect of playing the harp, I make a comparison to taking care of a car. Both are mechanical beings, both need “oil changes”. As I was growing up there were so many things I didn’t know, but you have much more information available. I encourage you to make use of all sources including harp technicians.
    Good luck!!!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Eileen, you make a good point that one needs to know what is involved with taking care of a musical instrument. However, I must confess that I am glad I was blissfully clueless about all that when I started or I would never have pursued playing the harp:)

I think Chris has stepped in at the appropriate time and is taking ownership of his daughter’s harp needs. He did not state her age but clearly she is too young to make the harp maintenance decisions. I think it’s great that the teacher offers strings to students. This is part of the learning process and is a convenience for the parents. Obviously, as evidence from Chris’s post asking about what strings to keep and his daughter must earn the money to pay for them, the family is now taking steps to become more harp savvy. Chris is wise enough to seek advice here from others who have been there-done that.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts about the topic of spare strings! I agree that a harpist should have an extra complete set of strings for each harp he/she owns, which does add up to an investment. Additionally, I have found that harp strings make excellent gifts, such as on birthdays and at holiday times, and when I play for charity events, I let it be known (in a nice way) that harp strings are expensive. On more than one occasion, someone is very willing to contribute to my “harp string fund.”

Biagio
    Participant

THANK YOU Eileen! I don’t want to come across as a nerd or dogmatic (which I will, no doubt) but darn it just gotta share something.

I was blessed in my first year by a wonderful teacher who insisted that all her students – pedal of not – understand the technical details of their personal instrument. Be it Troubadour, L&H pedal, or a 26 string kit harp, everyone had to get out a tape measure, chart or caliper, and then be ready to talk about WHY the harp sounded as it did.

And then (oops) we had to think about how it could sound differently with a different technique or different strings:-) Joscilyn would often say “The music is in you, but if you do not understand the harp as a lover would, you are just a technician. ”

Biagio

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.