harpcolumn

some technique questions

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp some technique questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I am an intermediate harpist with about three students right now.

Two of them are adults and one is an eight year old.

unknown-user
    Participant

Jeanna, I’m really intrigued with your situation.

As a symphony harpist with many students, I have seen a lot of hand

positions. The main thing is whether a straight or curved finger works well for

your student. Every hand is a different size and shape, and it will only cause

frustration if one tries to pound a square peg into a round hole. I learned the

Salzedo method, but I have made some adaptations to compensate for a

rather short 4th finger and long 3rd finger, You can imagine the buzzing this

would cause if my 4th finger were completely curved. So it only curves on one

joint! Also, in big stretches, I have to flatten my 3rd finger if I want to place that

4th finger. The height of the thumb can make it easier for the 4th finger, as

well. Try lowering it a bit and see if that helps. It does not have to be too high;

in fact, it should not be so high that it shows pulling across the palm. It should

just sit comfortably where it is placed naturally, with no stretching. I hope this

helps! As for glissandi, you play the next note with the thumb coming down. (I

hope I understood your question.) Also, watch their elbows! If they are

drooping too far, the best hand position in the world won’t work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies