harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

Well, it depends on whether or not you want to make a living, Misty. If this is just a hobby, then of course you can be as fussy as you want. But if you want to get work back at the venue again, or get referred by the client, you have to deal with reality.

Reality is that you are a worker, just like the wait staff or the bartender, and you don’t have the rights of a guest. Sorry, but that’s just how it is.

andy-b
    Participant

What kind of gig is it, Karen? I can’t imagine someone getting up to smoke during a wedding (though they might!), so I’m assumming it’s some kind of background music? Is it a long enough gig to take breaks so that you could take a couple of minutes break while the smoker is close by?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>I can’t imagine someone getting up to smoke during a wedding

Actually, Andy, these days when people have no sense of occasion, I’ve done several outdoor weddings where guests smoked all during the ceremony. They don’t get up; they smoke in their seats and annoy the other guests, too.

tony-morosco
    Participant

All I can say reading through this discussion is that I am glad I live in California. No smoking allowed in any restaurant, bar or public buildings at all.

I was playing at a Renaissance faire last summer, and when people would come up and stand there with a cigarette, no matter whether I was in the middle of something or not, I would just stop. If they wanted to chat, I would have to excuse myself and walk away. Sorry if that is unprofessional or if they deserve to be indulged, but my body can’t take it, and there was no contract from either side on this gig. I can’t tolerate it, so it was either do that or be transported via ambulance to an E.R. for breathing treatments. I do just fine until someone blows that vile stench in my face.

Briggsie

mr-s

Hi Tony i wish i were playing in California,and in New Jersey where Sherry lives,

Karen Johns
    Participant

Unfortunately we have to “deal” with unhealthy situations everyday- that is just a part of life.

Misty, I agree with you, and I understand your question. If I were you, I’d put it in my contract that I would not tolerate being within a certain number of feet of a smoker, and that if you are confronted with this, you will need to move quickly. Some people really have serious health issues with smoke. I am one of them. I notice others on this thread are too, and for us, it’s not a question of “will we.” It is a matter of “we are unable.” There are some situations which are intolerable for whatever reasons….heart problems, asthma, allergies or whatever. It’s not as if we can escape it when we are situated at the harp playing a gig.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.