“Smart Harp”

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160358

I just got a new Music Maker catalog and am intrigued by their new “Smart Harp.”

jennifer-buehler on #160359

There’s been a lot of discussion on this

Participant
    Liam M on #160360

Now that is truly interesting Audrey…. the sound was delightful on the clip and the looks are intriguing. The price is excellent for entry level.

(could it be where two friends have found an alternative to a well worn subject? one would hope.)

jennifer-buehler on #160361

There’s an interesting post from Jerry Brown about it on the Yahoo Harplist.

Participant
    Kelly R on #160362

I found a youtube video of it being played — Smart Harp demonstration

For the price, it does seem pretty incredible.

Participant
    Leigh Griffith on #160363

In the first post on this thread is a link to the site where you can hear Sunita Staneslow playing and it doesn’t have that fingernail sound. Quite nice sound for what it is.
    Leigh

Participant
    unknown-user on #160364

Hi,

Participant
    michael-rockowitz on #160365

Hi,

Along the lines of the harps with cardboard soundboxes and their affordability, the “Backyard harp” (which I think used to be the Waring Harp) now has 22 strings and an harmonic curve, can take levers, and sells in kit form for $139!

Here’s the link:

Backyard Harp kit

Michael

Participant
    Karen Johns on #160366

Hi Audrey!

I just built one of these for a new student of mine. Went together like a charm! She’s bringing it up to pitch over the next two weeks, so I’ll update you on how I think it sounds. The foam board soundbox is made of a material called “Gatorboard” and it appears quite strong. I think the Smart Harp is an excellent choice for a beginner that can’t afford to spend a lot. It’s easy enough to put together, even for someone who has never built anything. Not the most gorgeous harp, but for the price it gives those with limited funds a chance to fulfill a dream. Hats off to Jerry Brown :-)

I’ll be back with updates once I get a chance to really hear it, but from the preliminary tuning I was able to sense that ethereal tone throughout the mid-range that is the traditional “harp-sound”.

Karen

Participant
    Rachel on #160367

Nicolas Carter, who does one of the sound

Participant
    Dwyn . on #160368

Foamcore is the stiff posterboard you can get in most any drugstore or office supply store, that has slick paper on both sides (or sometimes a

Participant
    Dwyn . on #160369

I’ve suggested it a couple of times to people who posted here about needing a super low cost harp to get started with, but I’ve never seen anyone posting that they actually have one.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160370

That’s very true.

Participant
    Audrey Nickel on #160371

Self correction…the Smart Harp is only $325.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.