harpcolumn

Small Pedal Harps?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Small Pedal Harps?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen Martin
    Participant

I have a Salvi Egan. I have been studying Suzuki for 6 years and finally am in Book 3 (halfway) Slow progress due to travel, broken arm, etc etc., but now in Book 3 I am finally liking playing and motivated to progress faster with more intense work. AT this point I am finding levers annoying and wonder if I would find a pedal harp a little more comfortable. I Know that the Salvi Daphne is only 54″ tall, and would be looking for a small pedal harp since I anticipate moving into smaller apartment in the next couple of years. Any advice on :

|1) Switching from lever to pedal harp – how hard is it to make the transition?

2) Merits of Various Pedal harps-I play usually for myself or small groups, no ambition or skill thus far to play orchestrally.

3) My harp is 6 years old, in great condition but too old to meet the posted trade in policies of Lyon and Healy West (which is the nearest harp center–I live in Idaho–my harp teacher is 150 miles away). Any suggestion on the best way to sell the harp and how to price it–its current list price is $5500.

Thanks to anyone for advice!

diana-day
    Participant

After the study you’ve done, I don’t think you’ll find it hard at all to move to pedal harp. Be sure to try the Lyon & Healy Chicago 40 — they have a lovely tone and only weigh 62 pounds — light by pedal harp standards.

If you are in Idaho and wish to sell your lever harp, the Salvi Egan, I suggest getting in touch with http://www.reigningharps.com, the folk harp web site of the Puget Sound area in Washington State. Many lever harp players and owners are in this area, and there is a monthly online newsletter. When you have browsed in the parts of this site you will see a list of teachers and performers, with contact information.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

When you are ready to buy your pedal harp, don’t forget the Lyon and Healy CPO pages.

I have a really wonderful 85 P that was very very reasonably priced when I bought it.

Kathleen Martin
    Participant

After some investigation, I looked have heard that the 85P or Chicago 40 is maybe too small, and am thinking of a larger harp, still hoping for lighter weight. I looked at preowned L&H 85 Grand Petite (44 str) but it was suggested to me by a l&H rep that the sound was dead, and less full than the 85 P. I have heard that the Camac is lighter and they have a 44 str Clio which is 68″ tall and 55 lbs. Any experience with Camac?

Kathleen Martin
    Participant

Thanks(!) for the contact with the folk harp website in Puget sound, I will investigate. I did post the harp in SLC Craigs list , for 4300 which is less than I see them selling for used at various websites and will see if I get any inquiries. If none in the SLC area I may post in the Puget sound area.

I am having some concerns about the size of the small pedal harps, the L&H Chicago 40 measures smaller height and width than my Egan, and I am thinking I’d like 44 strings. Am also considering a Camac since they are so much lighter than other pedalharps due to the cable connections. do you have any experience with these?

Sorry, no experience with Camacs, or with a 40-string Lyon and Healy pedal harp. My first pedal harp years ago was a

poppy-rose
    Participant

I recently purchased a Lyon and Healy 85GP, and love it. Sometimes I wonder if I should have gotten a concert grand, but every time I load it in and out of my Honda CRV, I’m so glad I didnt! A 44 string harp does not require a mini van to move it, and if you play for long periods of time, it’s more comfortable. ( for me anyway)

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

Hi Kathleen – I tried selling my pedal harp (I’m strictly lever now) for a couple of years. Then I contacted several harp teachers in the area. In a couple of months the harp was sold to a student!

mia-strayer
    Participant

i own a l & h 85 GP

i love my harp

44 string is more than enough

69 ibs is good for someone who is about 4ft

the sound is rich, warm & good for solo harping

the extended soundboard is big & beautiful

jessica-wolff
    Participant

At just under 5’0″, I would have been delighted with either the Style 12 (I’ve stood next to one) or the Progress (I’ve played one).

Kathleen Martin
    Participant

Thanks to everyone. I went to SLC and played and had played for me several harps at two showrooms and put a deposit on a L&H 85GP which has a very sweet but resonant sound (at least to my ear’s and my husband’s) It is the last of the line being built in Chicago, and will be sent to Utah. I hope I like it as well as the one I played (already spoken for)

: )

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.