harpcolumn

Silver Spears harp anyone?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Silver Spears harp anyone?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    shonacelticharp
    Participant

Hello, I am based in the UK and have been researching my ideal harp. I have decided on a nylon 34 string harp with ply sound board. In theory , Silver Spears harps really fit the bill but there is pretty much 0 about them on the internet and very very few samples of them being played. I have spoken to John the harp maker and looking to meet him possibly in a few weeks time to try/view but I am a beginner and it would be nice to hear the harps ‘potential’ on a more experienced player too. Ordinarily he says he can arrange meeting with potential buyers and owners but the covid situation has put a spanner in the works there.
    Does anyone have an opinion, review, sound samples/video anything on these harps that they could share? I’m looking at the Camlad 34 in cherry. I am based in Scotland near Edinburgh.
    I love the Ravennas sound too but quite fancy supporting a small business British harp maker and the Camlads have a similar build/materials to them.

Thanks for any thoughts

Biagio
    Participant

John certainly seems to know what he is doing so I would be fairly confident just on the face of it, though you are wise to meet with him and discuss in more detail – and of course try it out yourself. The fact that he uses Camac levers is a plus as is the vacuum molded round back box. I prefer that box design for a harp such as the Camlan as it is light, very strong, and has excellent acoustics. It is what I use on my own harps for my own use.

The Ravennas have a different approach which is described on Dusty Strings’ website. Those are good harps too of course.

When you meet with John you might discuss hiring the harp for a while rather than purchasing it immediately. He offers what in the US it is called “rent to own” and that is a good way to go. His description is pretty standard in the industry.

Biagio

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.