harpcolumn

silk wires on a pedal harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories silk wires on a pedal harp?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have heard that when you change the metal bass strings of a pedal harp by silk wire strings there would be less difference between the bass strings and gut strings. There is no problem with the tension of the harp because silk wire strings have less tension than the normal Bow Brand bass strings.

Silk wire strings are expensive so before I buy and change the strings to try this I would like to know if any of you has changed Bow Brand pedal bass strings by silk wires. Please let me know what you think about this idea of changing bass wires.

Tacye
    Participant

I have played Erards with silk core wires (and like them, but the way they roll of the fingers is startling at first), but not a modern concert harp – I would be interested in how your experiment turns out.

Hi Tacey,

So you say the way of playing silk core wire is different from the metal strings?

I am from the Netherlands living in Belgium. There is a harp builder in the Netherlands who sells silk core wires. He told me there is a woman in the U.K. who makes these wires. The price is about 17 Euro per string. So it will be more than 100 Euro changing the bass wires and I don’t know the result of it.

That’s why I would like to know if there is someone who has done this before.

If you know where I can buy these strings or know a website with more information, please tell me.

Tacye
    Participant

Try Salopian strings as I mentioned- £7ish a string which is rather less than 17 euros.

carl-swanson
    Participant

You can’t use silk core wore stings on a modern pedal harp. They will have no sound at all. I’m not even sure the silk core strings will be strong enough to pull up to pitch.

Tacye
    Participant

Why do you say that Carl?

Dwyn .
    Participant

I’m not sure if anyone is making silk core strings strong enough to withstand modern pedal harp tension, however various

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.