harpcolumn

Should I change these strings?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Should I change these strings?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sherry-lenox
    Participant

I have two gut strings on my 85P that have little tiny filaments unraveling from the string. One string has one, and the other has perhaps three or four, all unraveling at the same place in the string.

Both strings still sound fine. Should I cut off the filaments or replace the strings?

The only rather minor thing I notice is that the harmonic on one of the strings may be slightly harder to play.

Also, is it an old wive’s tale that you can repair a string by rubbing it between your fingers with a tiny bit of oil?

Thanks for your help.

Tacye
    Participant

If you are happy with the strings why change them?

Oil will spoil a string that is not conditioned to accept it, in my experience. If it suits a Bow string, then okay. Pirastro has strings made to be oiled. Fraying means a string is beginning to wear out, but as long as the pitch is true, snip off the strands with a cosmetic scissor or razor, very carefully. Do not pull them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics