harpcolumn

Schönberg Pelleas und Melisande

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Schönberg Pelleas und Melisande

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

The VSO is performing Schönberg’s Pelleas und Melisande this week. It’s a 41-minute piece from his early Romantic-style writing, before he started working with the 12-tone row. The harp part is full of impractical writing, including a B flat below the bottom note. (I just moved this note up an octave. If you tuned the lowest string down that far, I doubt that it would have much sound or pitch.) Luckily, the worst-written passages are buried in very thick orchestration, and it is possible to eliminate some of the craziness. I made use of enharmonics a lot. I wrote out those passages, so that I wouldn’t have to read lots of circled notes.

It is actually a very good piece, other than that.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Elizabeth, you are very kind and generous to share your many years of orchestral knowledge with harpists on HC. Thank you. I always appreciate what you have to say.

Tacye
    Participant

I only remember the craziness, is there any of these parts that aren’t?  The one time I attempted this it came with the two harp parts and also – with the hire set – a version written out for four harps, which I have never encountered with any other piece.  We only had two harpists…

This was performed when I was in school, thankfully, I didn’t have to play it. The harpists that did worked like crazy, and most of it was unnecessarily thick.

I much prefer Faure’s or Sibelius’s scores.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.