harpcolumn

Scarlatti Sonatas

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Scarlatti Sonatas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hi,

I was just looking at the USA International Harp Competition repertoire and noticed there were the two Scarlatti Sonatas K113 or K209 listed in Stage 1. I was wondering which version/edition would be appropriate to use (I’m not really sure what is normally used) or if any particular version is normally expected to be used.

Best wishes,

Clare McDonogh

I would use a recent edition, Kirkpatrick or later, such as Gilbert, so that the ornaments are correct. However, you must then adapt it to the harp as well. I’m not sure which Sonatas those are, off hand, but there are some good editions published, such as those of Dewey Owens.

The Competition may have a list.

Dewey Owens did a very fine transcription of K113, and I haven’t found 209 yet, but if they are paired, he probably did that one, too, and they are available to purchase.

Okay, found 209, I’ve never seen a transcription of that one yet, and I would never pick that one for harp, with all those repeated notes. But, I guess some people like to play them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics