harpcolumn

Round Midnight for harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Round Midnight for harp?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    melissa-gallant
    Participant

Has anyone published or even written out an arrangement of Round Midnight for harp? I found a Dorothy Ashby youtube video of her playing that haunting song, and would love to play it, too!

Strange…why is the typing going off the page? This has never happened before.

I will try posting it again to see if the typing stays in the window.
    I am working on the Bernstein Serenade for Violin and Orchestra for a concert this week, and I had my old copied part which I had kept for the fingerings. The orchestra handed out rental parts that had been re-copied for legibility by Boosey & Hawkes, and there are some errors or discrepancies in the new part.

In the bar before reh. letter “W” in the first movement, the left hand notes in the original are A, B, C, D, E, G, F, E. In the new part, they are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, E. So the G and the F are reversed. (It won’t matter at all the the audience, who won’t hear the difference.) I assume the original part is the correct one.

In the second movement, the very last chord should have an E#, not an F#, in it. The original part is correct, but the new part has the mistake.

Some of the cues have missing accidentals or articulation marks, but it doesn’t affect the harpist.

Melissa, I’m sure there is a published arrangement for solo piano, or voice and piano, to be found. If you buy that , and want to make your own arrangement, realize it is haunting because the lyrics are very sad; do you want your listeners to hear that? There will also be legal implications if you play this where you are paid; be sure to look into that, since the composer, Thelonious Monk, died in 1982 and is considered one of the greatest jazz musicians of all time. Whoever publishes his music has purchased legal rights to do that.
    Arrangers must be very careful to respect intellectual property of others.

melissa-gallant
    Participant

Thanks for your reply! I do have a piano arrangement and a fake book lead sheet of the song. The chords are very intricate which makes this song more difficult than many to arrange for harp, that’s why I was curious to learn what choices others have made in voicing the harmonies. Dorothy Ashby’s recording is an inspiration!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies