harpcolumn

Rest in Peace Ruth Berman

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Rest in Peace Ruth Berman

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tony-morosco
    Participant

For those of you who were not aware, it is with great sadness that I inform you of the passing of Ruth Berman-Harris. Harpist, composer and teacher.

Ruth was a pioneer of Jazz harp, as well as an accomplished classical performer. She was a student of Lucille Lawrence, Carlos Salzedo, Casper Reardon and Marie Miller, as well as a composition student of Ronald Herder

While studying at Julliard she won the Madrigal Award at age 15.

Ruth spent over 40 years working as a studio musician for NBC, CBS and ABC.

Ruth served for several years on the board of New York Women Composers Inc. and was co-director of the Purchase Music Ensemble which sponsored the Aaron Copeland Competition for Young Composers.

Ruth published many arrangements of harp music as well as original compositions for both harp and piano. She taught harp at the Music Conservatory of Westchester and the Hoff-Barthelson Music School in Westchester, and also taught private lessons out of her home in White Planes NY until her retirement in the late 1990’s.

Ruth passed away April 23rd at the age of 96 in Peoria Arizona where she was living with her daughter Susan.

Ruth was one of the most beautiful human beings I ever had the privilege of knowing. She will be missed.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

She sounds like a lovely person, and an incredibly talented harpist Tony. My thoughts are with you, and her family.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Tony,
    My sincere condolences to you, as well as to the harp community for the loss of a wonderful teacher and performer. I heard the news from the AHS Phoenix Chapter and the first person I thought of was you. I know how much a great teacher is a part of one’s life, as she was to you. You are part of her legacy now.
    Jerusha

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tony- So sorry to hear about Ruth. I had a long professional relationship with her when she lived in White Plains New York. She was always warm and cordial. A lovely person. If you are in touch with her daughter Susan, please pass my condolences to her. She called me to let me know her mother was near the end, but I got the message several days later and have not succeeded in reaching her. Carl

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies