harpcolumn

Responding to kid's interest in the harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Responding to kid's interest in the harp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Loonatik

I have a little girl (daughter of a family) who visits about once a month.
    She had never had formal music lessons, i.e. not able to read notes, but has been showing interest in the harp since I have been playing it when she visits.

She had asked for permission to play on my harp, but that’s just sliding fingers across the strings or plucking them meaninglessly.

I sense she’d be interested to learn more… but how would one start something with her, something that would be simple, interesting yet not a formal music lesson, since it’s impossible to do anything with that frequency?

Tacye
    Participant

How little is she?

wil-weten
    Participant

What about helping her to figure out simple songs like ‘Twinkle, twinkle, little star’? With just the right index finger and trying to use that finger in a harp appropriate way? Perhaps doubling with the left right finger playing the same tune an octave lower?

Loonatik

she’s 9 turning 10.

balfour-knight
    Participant

If you have a pedal harp, try putting it in a pentatonic setting, for example, all pedals in flat except B and E naturals. A lever harp tuned in the Key of C can also do this–just sharp all the B’s and E’s. Have her gliss up and down the strings, enjoying the effects. Then try a simple pentatonic tune such as “Jesus Loves Me,” “Amazing Grace,” “How Firm A Foundation,” some Chinese folk songs, etc., any melody that could be played on the black keys of a piano. She can learn to pluck the tune with one finger, such as Wil-weten suggested, but she can also gliss up and down with the other hand to get an automatic nice effect–just magical to a child!

Hope this helps. Best wishes to all of you, and Happy Holidays!
    Balfour

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.