harpcolumn

Renting Harps in Foreign Countries

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Renting Harps in Foreign Countries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vince-pierce
    Participant

Hi all,
    I haven’t posted on here in AGES, and I’ve definitely missed the forum lots. I may be traveling to China and possibly Europe this summer with the band I am currently playing with, and I wanted to get a head start on locating harps to use while I’m there. This may affect my decision as to whether or not I will go. I have a hard time imagining taking my own harp all over the place, as neat as it would be to say my harp has traveled the world.

I would be performing in Beijing, and possibly Shanghai, Hong Kong and maybe two other cities on the coast along the route from Beijing to Hong Kong. I know Lyon and Healy has two distributors in Hong Kong that I know of, but I don’t know how practical it would be to rent a harp and have it sent to Beijing and then somehow try to transport it to multiple cities…

I wonder if I should try to find individual harpists or even schools in each city to loan harps? I just wonder how feasible that really is.

i would appreciate any advice, and if anyone knows any harpists in China who could be of assistance, it would be super if you could forward me their contact information – vpierce (at) utexas (dot) edu

I will have the same situation if I go to Europe, but I feel like there are more harp resources and harpists there. Although I would possibly be going to the Faroe Islands and Sweden, so I may post later about that as those plans are not confirmed. Thanks in advance for any info you all can offer!

Vince

carl-swanson
    Participant

My understanding is that Lyon & Healy/Salvi have a factory in China. Call them and see if they can rent you a harp.

I would take along a good lever harp for practice. There are plenty of pieces you could work on.

laura-stokes
    Participant

I have a friend currently studying harp in China, I have heard it is extremely expensive to rent harps, hundreds per day. So make sure to talk to some chinese harpists before you go

vince-pierce
    Participant

Thanks for all the responses. I have made contacts in the World Harp Congress, and I will get in touch with Lyon and Healy now that I have an itinerary for the trip. Nine cities..no small feat. However, I am going to prepare lever harp versions of my parts, possibly play some flute as our flutist will not be there, and also play a keyboard/piano where I can’t get a harp. However it works out it will make for an interesting trip! Thanks for the helpful responses!

Vince

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies