harpcolumn

Rees Aberdeen Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Rees Aberdeen Harp

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    balfour-knight
    Participant

If I could have it “my way,” I would start on Low A and go all the way to High C. This would be 38 strings, of course. I do use that High C a lot, especially to end a glissando in the Key of C. I miss it on my Ravenna, which only goes to A at the top, 34 strings. I have even played the harmonic on the highest C Ravenna has to get the sound of that High C in a piece.

I guess it also depends a lot on what “tuning” you use. I am a C-tuning lever harpist, since the pedal harp is tuned that way, so I need the Low C and the Highest C in the Key of C. If you tune in E flat, that would be much less important. I know some E flat-tuning lever harpists who do not go below the Low E flat when they play, so if that were the lowest note, the harp could go up to E flat for the highest note and be very useful (still 36 strings). My pedal harp has that nice High E, and I use it a lot, too. Just call me “Harpo” with all my glissandos, Biagio, ha, ha!

I did a concert at a retirement home last summer, and the nice woman who arranged it said to “play whatever you want as long as it includes LOTS of glissandos!” so I did not disappoint them, ha, ha!

Have a great day, all of you,
    Balfour

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies