harpcolumn

Recycling Harp Strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Recycling Harp Strings

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Grace Bauson
    Participant

After changing my strings this year, I was looking for recycling possibilities. D’Addario has a program that accepts wire harp strings!

D’Addario’s recycling program is called Playback. It’s free and even gives points toward ordering new strings.

Here’s the website:
    https://www.daddario.com/playback/recycle/#@40.77027075200147:-95.93705549677736zoom:4

Has anyone found places to recycle nylon and gut strings?

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, Grace!

Thanks for your post. I was wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) have ever used D’Addario’s bass wire strings on a harp. I have been very pleased with their nylon strings on my harps, but have never tried their wires. Please let me know.

Thanks again,
    Balfour

paul-knoke
    Participant

I’ve been using D’Addario wires for restring jobs for some years, and have never encountered a bad string.
    As far as old nylons and guts go, I offer them to the percussionists for uses like hanging triangles, or gut drum snares. I also offer them to luthiers for tail guts, tied frets, etc. etc.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks so much, Paul! That recommendation means a lot coming from you.

Cheers,
    Balfour

catherine-rogers
    Participant

I have given old strings and wires to local art teachers for their projects. I always caution them not to let pets play with or chew on gut strings, as they can cause fatal complications if swallowed.

Grace Bauson
    Participant

Thanks for the ideas! I have also used D’Addario wires for a while, ordering through my local harp store. They have worked well for me.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Patrice Fisher runs the non-profit Guatemala Harp Project. She gladly accepts used gut and harp strings. No wires, though. I package each string in a small plastic craft bag and mark the bag with the string name. I put a cover letter in the box of strings with information about the strings – brand, guyot, nylon etc. Adds a little time to restringing my harp but well worth it when you t=receive photos of the students. She will also send you a tax donation letter for tax purposes. http://www.patricefisher.com.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.