harpcolumn

recommendations for music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp recommendations for music

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    brook-boddie
    Participant

Jer~

Rhett has some other pieces that are pretty chordal.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Thanks, Brook!

I just heard Judy Loman on CBC talking about “Be Still My Soul”, which is part of the piece “Finlandia” by SIbelius. Judy hosted a show called “My Music” in which she played pieces that meant a lot to her for various reasons.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Elizabeth,

I just love Judy Loman.

But back to the topic! A very chordal piece is the famous “Largo” from “Xerxes” by Handel. It may not work on lever harp without some re-voicing, but it definitely works on pedal harp.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Thank you, Elizabeth!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

There’s a very nice arrangement of that piece in Dewey Owens’s “Wedding Music for the Advanced Lever Harpist”. Also Gertrude Ina Robinson has a nice lever harp version, too, but I forget the title of the collection.

Yes, I have pondered that myself, for building strength, and there are surprisingly few solos that are basically all chords. The Bach-Grandjany etudes offer a few, two adagios and a bourree. There is the original Bach-Salzedo Bourree and Salzedo’s Londonderry Air, some of his Christmas pieces and to extremes, the Prelude Fatidique, Bolero and Recessional. Dewey Owens’s Bach Chaconne is fairly chordal. Gaubert’s Sarabande also, but those are concert solos. It’s a short list. The Pavane in Solos for the Harp Player is of course, there as well as some Corelli pieces.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Thanks so much, Saul!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies