harpcolumn

Ravenna 34

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Ravenna 34

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mary Anne
    Participant

Good
    morning from Germany,

I’m looking for a new harp and am
    interested in a Dusty Strings Ravenna 34.
    Unfortunately, in
    Germany there is no dealer for this, so I would have to buy abroad (the
    Netherlands).

Now I have read and seen on Youtube films about
    these Ravenna.
    The sound is very impressive, I play so far Harpsicles
    that
    sounds similar to the nylon strings.

Now I am a
    bit
    confused but after I read that the Ravenna soundboard is completely
    made of laminated birch wood, so at no point where solid wood.

I wonder (and i have no idea!!!):
    Does
    the harp need of repair then?
    Breaks it sooner? How else are your experiences with the Ravenna? Problems after
    the sale?

Thank you for the trouble

The body of the Harpsicle is made entirely of Baltic Birch to give you a comparison.

jessica-wolff
    Participant

The Finnish or Baltic birch is why the Ravenna is cheaper than other Dusty Strings models. That goes throughout the industry: harps that are all solid wood cost a lot more. FWIW, Heartland Harps offers a 10-year warranty on their solid-wood harps but a 3-year warrantee on their Dreamweaver (Baltic birch)–though they say that a Baltic birch soundboard is inherently stronger.

Karen Johns
    Participant

Umm, there’s different grades of birch. 5-ply aircraft quality birch is the strongest. Not sure what Heartland uses on their Dreamweaver, you’d have to call Dave Woodworth and ask him what and why the warranty is shorter. Maybe it has something to do with the lowered cost and as an encouragement to trade up to one of their performance models, as I believe the Dreamweaver is meant to be an economy-wise/beginner model.

Karen

adam-b-harris
    Participant

Wie Gehts! I’ve had one for 2 years and play out professionally so it has to travel with me at least twice a week. Lots of playing and no problems at all sound wise or cosmetic wise. You need the padded case of course if you are going to cart it about.

I’m very happy with it.

Adam

Mary Anne
    Participant

Thank you for the
    answers.
    I am now reassured. ;-)

It is just completely uncommon in Germany, to build large harps (no lap
    harps) with fully laminated soundboard.
    I will test the Ravenna soon in the Netherlands – and am
    very excited.

Susan TN
    Participant

I can only respond with my experience of almost a year with my Ravena34.

Mary Anne
    Participant

>They have put this thing through the ringer – pulling on strings,
    >climbing on it, sliding toys / body parts down it, etc.

hannah-roberts
    Participant

I have had mine since October 2008 and absolutely love it. The tone and projection are beautiful; I’ve had no problems with it. I took it to be regulated this spring (which is a good thing to do with any new lever harp within the first year or 1 1/2 years) and it sounds like a dream all the way around. It’s a sturdy, well-made harp with tremendous resonance and good, middle-of-the-road string tension.

harpglo-jean
    Participant

Love that photo of the harp clothesline!!! wow, how clever, but not a good thing for the harp!..And I wanted to comment that the Ravenna 34, “is” indeed a lovely sounding harp. A lady in my harp ring owns one, and the tone is very deep and rich, so you will have a wonderful harp for all of your tunes!…enjoy!……….Gloria

jessica-wolff
    Participant

It made my day too. Though I think only the Pakistani Harp-Shaped Objects deserve to be treated that way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies