harpcolumn

rate for MP3 files on website

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists rate for MP3 files on website

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I would like to add MP3 files to my website.

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Hallo,

160 is known

Nigel Keay

Don’t overlook variable bitrate (VBR) for mp3 files. It seems that they’re much less used than fixed bitrate mp3, and there’s even a bit of prejudice against them from engineers but that seems mostly theoretical. In any case I think they give the best quality/file size ratio. I use a LAME encoder where the best quality VBR mp3 come out averaging 220Kb/s – a bit higher than 160. If you wanted smaller files then go down the VBR scale a bit.

I think the main difference between mp3 and original CD is mainly the lack of depth in the sound even if plenty claim that higher rates are indistinguishable. Personally I don’t really like mp3 at all, the ogg vorbis format is a much better sound for the same file size, but mp3, the early starter, is ubiquitous so I stick with them too on my site.

My work for flute, viola and harp (Terrestrial Mirror) is using variable bitrate mp3 at the highest quality (220Kb/s), and was recorded professionally. The harpist was employed as a sound engineer for French TV, and she got a colleague to record us.

Thank you for your input. I’ll pass this data along.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.