harpcolumn

Rarely heard Tournier Pieces

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Rarely heard Tournier Pieces

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

Recently I participated in a masterclass in Tour France, at the invitation of Catherine Michel. The whole class was about the music of Marcel Tournier. It was live streamed, and is now up on Youtube. If you would like to hear the pieces played, start by typing in: Classe d’excellence avec Catherine Michel Ă  l’Instrumentarium.

The class is over three hours long. But the highlights are listed below, with the time where they appear. Enjoy!

Interview (in French) with Huguet Geliot, who studied with Tournier from 1939 to 1942: 10:17

First Sonatine, third movement, with violin and cello parts that Tournier added years after he wrote the original piece: 1:19:35

FĂ©erie, with string quartet: 1:46:33

Three movements from Au Hasard des Ondes, played by a 16 year old boy from China. En Chine: 2:35:41. En Japon: 2:41:00. Visions de mer: 2:45:45

Short talk by me, Carl Swanson, about Tournier and the crisis with much of his chamber music: In French: 2:54:05. In English: 3:04:25

I had never heard the Sonatine with the string parts, and had never hear any of the movements from Au Hasard des Ondes, except for Eternal Dreamer. I was astonished at the beauty of these pieces. It’s time for a total re-evaluation of Tournier’s music.

Harper10
    Participant

This is fantastic! I’m only 4 years into my harp journey and haven’t discovered much of Tournier’s with yet. I didn’t know there were so many pieces of his that aren’t often played. I believe there is an old master class of Catherine Michel I watched recently and it was wonderful. I’m really looking forward to watching this. Thank you for sharing this and the excellent explanation of the pieces!

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks, Carl, and I plan to watch this later when I have more time. Unfortunately, I do not speak French. It is a beautiful language, with the best harp music ever written for the instrument, especially Tournier, so I wish I knew the language.

Best wishes to you,
    Balfour

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Carl, where can you find the string parts for Sonatine?

carl-swanson
    Participant

At the moment they are not published. Lemoine, who was Tournier’s publisher, told me recently that they will be publishing them sometime this year. I’ve got my own set of the parts, and I may publish my own edition of them at some point.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Carl, your editions are the best! Hope the Childrens Corner project is going well!

Some of his simpler pieces are among his best work. Others I find very repetitious of other pieces. Vers la source dans le bois and Au Matin seem to be his peak achievements, to me. The Six Noels have a lasting quality. But I recently heard the Scherzo Romantique for the first time and was very disappointed in it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies