harpcolumn

Quinceañera

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Quinceañera

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

Anyone else play for quince ceremonies?

balfour-knight
    Participant

Okay, Sylvia, now you have me intrigued! What exactly is a quince ceremony? So far, I have not read about one in your very entertaining wedding books!
    Best wishes,
    Balfour

Sylvia
    Participant

A quinceañera is a celebration of a girl’s 15th birthday.
    http://www.quinceanera-boutique.com/quinceaneratradition.htm

The Catholic ceremony is a mass, and if the people are not Catholic, it is usually held in a church. Then there is a dinner-reception afterward. The Catholic ceremony is very much like a wedding mass, without the wedding.

I haven’t played very many, and I’ve had only two that were not in a Catholic church…one in a park, and one in a storefront church. I’m not sure I’d played any at the time I wrote my books. I played the storefront church a couple of weeks ago.

Although not Catholic I have played them at the insistence of parents who hear me in a restaurant. I do need someone to cue me in (and out) though. I play classical and a lot of O’Carolan and it seems to work. Have found the church music directors very helpful in all cases.

Elizabeth Webb
    Participant

I have played several in Arizona and in Mexico. I had a quinceanera myself when I turned 15 (spent much of my growing up years in Mexico, so the culture is deeply part of my heritage). I’m not Catholic, so we had mine in a generic event venue. As others have stated, in your general quinceanera, musically treat it like a Catholic wedding and you will probably be fine. First time I played Ave Maria was for a quince. I couldn’t find a solo arrangement so I rewrote the accompaniment version from Sylvia Wood’s Hymns and Wedding music book into a solo version. I have several other versions now, but I think my first version is still my favorite to play.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Thanks, everyone, for your explanations and stories about this. Now I know what it is!
    Best regards,
    Balfour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies