harpcolumn

Problems in changing strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Problems in changing strings

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Carlin
    Participant

No, it’s definitely the right string 🙂 and I really have to order more as I’m down to my last one unfortunately.

Tacye
    Participant

You can, of course, hold the end of the string in a pair of pliers to tighten it which I sometimes find helpful on the lower strings.

katie-buckley
    Participant

Carlin, I was the same. Changing strings for me was so horrible before I started using the alternative knot. That’s why I still cringe with a 0G breaks. You have to use the old knot on it. I feel your pain! I hope the alternative knot works for you!

Tacye
    Participant

Why do you use the other knot on 0G? An extra half hitch as shown on the diagram you found and it works fine.

Another tip is the use of a non-scratchy clothes peg to stop the end of your string falling through the hole when you have poked the string through from the top and are then tying the knot – useful when the holes aren’t as easy to reach on the inside.

For the nylon and gut strings, I don’t leave any slack on the string before I start winding, since the strings stretch so much in the first couple of days. If you are tying your knot correctly, using a string anchor from a 4th or 5th octave gut string, and there is nothing sharp in the grommet or hole, then it should work. Are you “locking” the string in place after winding it around once? There are some good videos out there about replacing strings. Sylvia Woods has a good video about almost any subject.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_rF-rND9C0

emma-graham
    Participant

You were saying you bruised your hand trying to get the string through the soundboard? I could be reading you wrong but it sounds like you are threading the string from behind after tying the knot? I always thread the string from the front and then tie the knot. I hold the knot firmly while pulling the string back up through the soundboard so it doesn’t come loose. Once it is against the back of the soundboard I give a firm tug just to make sure the knot is secure. I use the normal knot and have never had a problem with it. Oddly though, I cannot for the life of me demonstrate it to pupils. If I try to do it slowly enough for them to see I just lose track of what I’m doing and it all unravels!!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.