harpcolumn

Preamp Advice

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Preamp Advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    erynfuson
    Participant

Has anyone had good/bad experience with certain preamps? I’ll need to be able to plug both my harp and my guitar in at the same time.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I bought my amp, preamp and pick-up mic through Dusty Strings. Their prices are competitive with anything else on the internet. I play with a classical guitarist so we use a mic for his guitar and a built-in pick-up mic for my harp and share the same amp. Sometimes he uses his own amp. However, in looking at my LR Baggs pre-amp, I see that only one line can go to and from it. Are you talking about amp or pre-amp? Are you talking about plugging in an electric guitar as well as the harp or harp pick-up mic? I would check out the information on the Dusty Strings website and also call them. They are very, very helpful and patient.

erynfuson
    Participant

Thank you! I’ve had other music friends say good things about LR Baggs as well. I do have a great amp and just need a preamp for both the harp (Heartland Harp which has a pickup and I use a 1/4″ cord for) and acoustic guitar, so I’ll just get one for each. Cheers!

teifiharps
    Participant

Hi Eryn, before I make some suggestions could you clarify:

1. Do you already have a pickup?

2. Are you looking for a pre-amp such as this or an acoustic harp amplifier such this?

If you do have a pickup the second important link in the chain really is the amplifier (which has a pre-amp built in). Stereo pre-amps are pretty rare.

Let me know and I’ll try and help you further!

Regards

Owen

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by teifiharps.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by teifiharps.
    emma-graham
    Participant

I use this one
    https://www.fishman.com/products/series/platinum/platinum-stage-EQ-analog-preamp/
    It makes the output much more controllable and also helps boost the volume. I have two amps, a cheap battery operated one (Roland AC33) that I use for weddings/background music and the AER compact 60 which is an absolutely brilliant acoustic amp. The pre-amp is a must have with both of them. (I don’t need it with either of my electric harps, just with my Lyon and Healy 23)

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Emma, how do you adjust your pre-amp? Do you find someone to listen or have you figured out a pre-set? I have not been able to figure out proper settings on my pre-amp to get an even sound out of all the strings on my concert grand. I end up relying on my guitar partner, who is also more tech savvy than me. I have only used my amp set-up when playing as a duo, but at some point a solo job will come up….

BTW, l looked at your amp online. It seems to be the same as the Schertler (including the price).

emma-graham
    Participant

Yes, Gretchen that can be tricky. I have the pre-amp set where I like it but I check it using the built in looper on the Roland amp or my stand alone looper if I’m using the AER. I record myself and then walk away with the looper playing so I can hear how the sound is carrying and tweak accordingly. In a background music situation I am not overly fussy!! The AER is such a great amp that the sound is always really even. I too have a duet partner (we have the same amp but different pick ups on our harps) and we sound check for each other. Sometimes you get lucky and there is a sound guy on hand to do everything!!
    No experience of Schertler amps I’m afraid.

Rachel
    Participant

I bought a Red Eye after seeing Martha Gallagher perform with hers. It does a great job with my 5-octave Dusty (which has a pickup installed), and it’s easy to use. There is a version for two instruments called the twin: https://www.fire-eye.com/new-page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.