harpcolumn

Pratt Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Pratt Harps

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    harperboy Fuller
    Participant

Hi, everyone…I was checking out the “Harplust List” and

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been borrowing my mom’s Pratt Chamber harp (36 strings with Loveland levers).

brook-boddie
    Participant

You’ll find several different threads on this site about Pratt harps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The one caveat is that the Chamber harp is much heavier than other lever harps, so it’s less fun to cart around, but what a sound!

deb-l
    Participant

yeah but if you have a lighter tension harp like a Merlin (or a Livia!) that would be the one you cart around and the Pratt would stay home comfy and snug.

karen
    Participant

I have a Pratt Chamber Harp (got is Sept. ’10) and a Dusty Strings FH-32. Love them both and they are quite different. I play my Pratt 90% of the time and the Dusty 10%. I far prefer the sound and the tension of my Chamber Harp. It is a wonderful instrument and incredibly well made. I have a picture by picture documentation of the creation of my harp….amazing they only cost $5300 when you see what goes into making them. John Pratt is a lovely human being and a stellar craftsman. The only downside would be that he is quite busy so sometimes it can take a while before he replies to e-mails but his communications are clear and descriptive so well worth the wait.

My Pratt weighs about 50 lbs, my Dusty is about 29 lbs. Mostly I play at home so it really does not matter. The one or two times a year I take it out to a recital with my teacher and other students, there is someone to help me take it there and bring it back so no big deal. Still a lot easier than helping my friend move her L&H 100 pedal harp that is for sure!

Lastly, Pratt harps have Camac levers on them……I love them….they are like “butter”! Dusty STrings uses Loveland and I’m not sure why because they are significantly beneath the Camacs and Dusty STrings makes wonderful harps–not sure why they settle for the Loveland levers.

Jennifer Browning
    Participant

Hi there … I have a Pratt Chamber Harp and a Rubarth Merlin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.