Practicing without a harp

Posted In: How To Play

• Participant
    elizabeth-jaxon on #206984

I realize this post is several months old now, but I think it’s a useful topic for many harpists. The harpist who initially created this forum thread was not able to play because she didn’t have access to a harp, but others may be unable to play for reasons including illness, injury, travel, etc.

I would love to hear your stories of how you dealt with such a situation. Based on your own experience, what creative techniques did you come up with for how to practice without a harp?

Participant
    Gretchen Cover on #206989

Well, for me I watched the finger fitness video on this thread and found it helped my playing immensely. I even did a test in which I played a piece once, put it away and came back to it after doing finger fitness for a couple weeks. I was amazed how much better I could play the piece just from doing these exercises.

Participant
    balfour-knight on #208011

These are all great ideas, my friends! I am one of those harpists who does indeed learn a difficult harp piece first on the PIANO, without having to manage the pedal changes, then I have the piece in my ear before I start it on the actual harp. I think through the pedal changes while I am playing it on the piano (my sweet wife says, “wiggle your toes, ha, ha!”) then it comes easily on the harp except for the C flats, Gretchen, ha, ha! I love to try piano pieces on the harp, too, but sometimes it is just too frustrating and I decide to continue to enjoy “that one” on piano and play more enjoyable pieces on harp. Oh, the joys of being retired, ha, ha!

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.