harpcolumn

Practicing without a harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Practicing without a harp

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    elizabeth-jaxon
    Participant

I realize this post is several months old now, but I think it’s a useful topic for many harpists. The harpist who initially created this forum thread was not able to play because she didn’t have access to a harp, but others may be unable to play for reasons including illness, injury, travel, etc.

I would love to hear your stories of how you dealt with such a situation. Based on your own experience, what creative techniques did you come up with for how to practice without a harp?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Well, for me I watched the finger fitness video on this thread and found it helped my playing immensely. I even did a test in which I played a piece once, put it away and came back to it after doing finger fitness for a couple weeks. I was amazed how much better I could play the piece just from doing these exercises.

balfour-knight
    Participant

These are all great ideas, my friends! I am one of those harpists who does indeed learn a difficult harp piece first on the PIANO, without having to manage the pedal changes, then I have the piece in my ear before I start it on the actual harp. I think through the pedal changes while I am playing it on the piano (my sweet wife says, “wiggle your toes, ha, ha!”) then it comes easily on the harp except for the C flats, Gretchen, ha, ha! I love to try piano pieces on the harp, too, but sometimes it is just too frustrating and I decide to continue to enjoy “that one” on piano and play more enjoyable pieces on harp. Oh, the joys of being retired, ha, ha!

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.