harpcolumn

Please could you give me your opinions on the Salvi Ana and Prelude 40?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Please could you give me your opinions on the Salvi Ana and Prelude 40?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bella-bella
    Participant

Hello,

Yesterday I visited my brother’s friend’s house to have a look at their harps. They had a Salvi Ana and Prelude 40 and I would like either of those, but cannot choose. I will have another look in a harp shop next week and ask someone to play them for me, but was wondering if you could offer me your opinions in the mean time.

This will be my first harp.

Thank you in advance!

deb-l
    Participant

both are great harps, the Ana is a little warmer sound, the Prelude a little brighter.

bella-bella
    Participant

Thank you!

I will, I just wanted some opinions in the mean time though lol. What do you mean by warmer and brighter?

Would you consider celtic harps to be bright and pedals to be warm?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

BB, I think your enthusiasm for what you are doing is really super, but I am starting to worry about you moving too fast to spend a very large amount of money for something that may or may not turn out to be exactly what you want.

Isn’t there some way to rent for a little while?

C’mon DebL- give me a little support here!

deb-l
    Participant

oh boy now your getting into dangerous territory.

bella-bella
    Participant

Thank you for your concern. I do feel like it’s expensive for a first harp, but I want to play because I love the sound of the harp, and if I don’t like the sound as much, I might not enjoy it as much.

It’s the pedal harp that I like and the Prelude and Ana seem to have a close sound to it.

I will ask about renting, but some places say they only rent out smaller harps.

You’re not the only one to mention that it’s a lot of money for a first harp, and It’s making my doubt myself. This is such a difficult choice!

bella-bella
    Participant

Thank you very much for taking your time to leave that reply, Deb L. Your reply has helped a lot. I’ll let you take a break from replying though! :p

sherry-lenox
    Participant

BB PLEASE don’t doubt yourself! The harp is so very wonderful that one wishes to start in an instant!

I will soon be getting the last harp I will ever “need”, and after five years of lessons, it took me a year to be sure that it was all I expected it to be.

You want to play and you love the instrument but there are things you will learn that you may not be thinking of now that may change what you are thinking now to something different.

There are SO many kinds of wonderful harps, and the more that you learn, the better the choice you can make.

Don’t doubt the depth of your desire to play this wonderful instrument. Just be sure you are taking all the time you need to make the best possible choice for you!

Since you mention the pedal harp in particular, I would recommend the Prelude, as it has much the same tonal qualities as a smaller pedal harp. What is being called brighter is the presence of more overtones and reverberation. It is close in size as well to a pedal harp, so it makes for an easier transition, as it was designed to do (as far as I know).

bella-bella
    Participant

Thank you both of you for your replies. I really appreciate it that people are willing to help on here.

Sherry,

May I ask what harp that is? (out of curiosity). I know that my view of the harp will probably change a bit and I think all harps sound so nice, but at the moment, the sound of the pedal harp is my favourite. I do love the sound of the celtic harp a lot, but I would play classical music more and would probably buy a small celtic harp later. I also love the lyre harp lol. Have you heard this before?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9kPR29Riw&feature=related . I am also keen to get one soon as I’m beginning a career in a couple of months (yay!) and this is my last opportunity to practise lots every day. After that, it would probably only be for 20 minutes with all the commuting.

Saul Davis

Since you mention the pedal harp in particular, I would recommend the Prelude, as it has much the same tonal qualities as a smaller pedal harp. What is being called brighter is the presence of more overtones and reverberation. It is close in size as well to a pedal harp, so it makes for an easier transition, as it was designed to do (as far as I know).

Thank you. So you would recommend it over the Salvi Ana? (I will still consider the Ana though).

Tacye
    Participant

Didn’t you say you were also thinking of visiting Teifi?

deb-l
    Participant

Bella,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.