harpcolumn

playing barefoot?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists playing barefoot?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

Wow! We love it here at the HC when a post generates so much interest! This one has
    certainly been interesting and informative….I usually try to stay out of these
    conversations, but Chris, I just have to comment on Josh Grobin and barefoot violinist: I
    played his show at Caesars in Atlantic City a few months ago and I have to tell you, that
    violinist offended every professional musician on stage. At the rehearsal, she wore low cut
    jeans (you know, the kind with the thong underware poking out) and a half-T shirt that
    said “The world is my ashtray.” I am not kidding. I remember it clearly because we were all
    just in awe of her bad taste. When she walked out barefoot for the concert, everyone just
    looked around and rolled their eyes. We might not have cared so much if it wasn’t for the
    fact that her wardrobe was a direct reflection on her attitude and demeanor towards the
    rest of the professionals on stage. Casual attire might be acceptable in the music industry,
    but bad taste and disrespect, especially on stage, are inexcusable, in my opinion.

I have to side with Jim on this one and say that while Josh and his violinist might be able to
    get away with it because they’re the stars, I’m confident that my contractor would not ask
    me back if I showed up to play a show at Caesars in bare feet.

Kim at Harp Column

unknown-user
    Participant

PS. I’ve worked with Lucia Micarelli also, and found her absolutely charming.
    Yes, very unconventional, but that’s what I admire about her. Very cool
    chick….

victoria-schultz
    Participant

I also performed with Lucia Micarelli and Josh Groban.

unknown-user
    Participant

What’s wrong with thong underware?

unknown-user
    Participant

I think now we all have a mission.

kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

Jim:

It would be great if this became the longest thread in HC history!!! Our aim is to keep
    people coming back for more! But to stay on topic, I think the question is not whether you
    can manufacture your own red thong underware, but whether you’d wear it on stage?????

It seems to me like what’s evolving here is the difference between artists who are
    individual personalities versus those that play as members of a group. Of course we all
    love that Deborah wears a miniskirt, but would I wear one in an orchestra? No, or I
    wouldn’t be asked back. Would I like to think I am hired solely on the basis of my
    musicianship like Vicki said? Yes, but that’s just not always the reality. I remember one
    show at Caesars I did for Tony Bennett where I was on a riser directly behind Tony the
    whole night. I think I had maybe three glisses in the whole show. My 13-year old student
    could have played this show. I can tell you my job that night was to sit there and look
    good and that’s it. Sad, but that’s the reality of being a freelance harpist sometimes.

Alexander originally asked if playing without shoes “looks really stupid.” It seems like from
    the input he’s gotten here, the answer is that it depends on where you’re playing. But since
    he was playing in an orchestra with other musicians, my answer is Yes, it looks really
    stupid if you are the only one sitting there with no shoes on.

KIM

unknown-user
    Participant

um, I can’t resist the pun. Wouldn’t unraveling a pair of undies, become a VERY LONG THREAD?

back to lurksville….
    Jane in Montana

unknown-user
    Participant

I think since Alex was the one who started this, he should have to pay some sort of
    penalty.

victoria-schultz
    Participant

I am so glad that everyone has indeed voted for red panties.

kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

Jim and Vicki:

I’m glad to know you guys have your priorities in the right place!!! I love Jim’s idea. We
    could expand it to say that anyone who posts a thread that gets more than 10 responses
    has to play the Ginastera concerto. Jim can sell tickets and use the proceeds to outfit all
    the responders in red thongs. Love it…..

By the way…..where is Alex? I think he owes it to all of us to at least pipe in and give us
    some input since he started this……

KIM

unknown-user
    Participant

I think he is out buying about 100 pairs of shoes…….

unknown-user
    Participant

I just have to jump in here and say that this about the funniest thread I have seen anywhere.

unknown-user
    Participant

When playing a harp, is it wrong / To wear naught but a shocking red thong? / And will it bring woes / To wiggle one’s toes / Sans footwear, when pedalling along?

unknown-user
    Participant

I’m with Kim and Jim…wear shoes for most venues–at least the traditional ones.

victoria-schultz
    Participant

I am realizing that there is a lot of untapped potential in the harp community.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.