harpcolumn

Piezo microphone pick ups for lever harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Piezo microphone pick ups for lever harp

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Another try:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    billooms
    Participant

That looks like a good option. Does a connected cable get in the way of the pedals?

emma-graham
    Participant

I use the fishman pickup mentioned by Molly K. It is brilliant. I use it in all my harps – concert grand LH 23 down to 34 string Clarsach.

I attach the pick-up itself to the back of the soundboard using blu-tac. It never comes off accidentally but I can remove it if necessary. The jack end I fix to the harp using Command Strips picture hanging strips. I have them in two positions on the harp. The first is under the base of the harp at the side like in Bill’s photo. I use it in this position if I’m using a cable. The second is in the same place that the dusty jack clip goes but on the inside of the sound hole. I keep the jack socket there all the time as it is out of the way and can’t get damaged during travel but I also usually connect wirelessly and my transmitter fits in there neatly when I’m using it.

The wireless system I use is this one. Can’t fault it. Xvive U2 Wireless Digital Transmitter/Receiver System for Guitar, Bass and Other Instruments, Rechargeable, 2.4 GHz Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4DSQBR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2Z0TDbT9JMEPZ

Nancy Edwards
    Participant

Thank you Talfryn and Gretchen for the information, I don’t know anything about amplification equipment. It makes sense to me now, especially after seeing the picture of the Dusty Strings clamp.
    Do I understand correctly: the Big Twin with the external jack connector doesn’t need the additional Dusty Strings clamp? And the external jack connector is just as good as the internal?
    And does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive amp? It would be used in smaller spaces, not any big concert areas.
    Thanks again!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Bill, I have not had a problem with the cable. It helps that it is between the pedals. I use a small non-skid bound carpet purchased at Walmart to put over the cable if I am playing somewhere that l think I may trip on the cable.

Nancy, look on YouTube for videos about harp amplification. Deborah Henson-Conant has a publication called “A Gurl’s Guide to Amplification.” Also go to the Dusty Strings website and read the blogs about amplification.

billooms
    Participant

I like the idea of a piece of carpet to prevent cable tripping.

taras
    Participant

These pickups are new but they are great! They are excellent quality and the value for money is amazing. They are a similar concept to dusty strings having multiple piezos spaced along the inside of the sound board.

https://rebelpickups.jimdo.com/rebel-special-harp-pickup/?fbclid=IwAR1TwM4Lvj_cCqV7g4iqW9gvX4ZqOXZVaCNmhZLgOmRrkPkiORXGqK_DjMw

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Taras, that is quite a find. The price of the Rebel pickup mics, even with overseas shipping cost, is far less than Dusty Strings. Plus, you don’t need to install a harness. Are you using the mic now? Have you used the Dusty strings internal mics? I would like to know how the two mic systems compare,

taras
    Participant

My first preference is a kortier pickup on each string but that is not always possible. I use Dusty Strings pickups in one of my harps which sound great! I installed Rebel pickups into someone else’s harp and they also sound great. I could not make a fair comparison due to both harps being very different.

The harness that dusty strings has prevents potential buzz from wires vibrating against the soundboard or soundbox. You may have to make something similar to prevent that potential issue with the rebel pickup.

Piezos are not expensive. To make something similar to both systems would be under 5 USD if you know how to solder.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-PCS-12mm-Piezo-Elements-Sounder-Sensor-Trigger-Drum-Disc-wire-copper/401096575002?hash=item5d6338081a:g:jcwAAOSwk5FUr5lN

jaydg
    Participant

Could I resurrect an old thread, and ask about amplifying my Camac Korrigan – I occasionally play the cello or bass parts on it, in our community orchestra, if we’re missing players – but apparently it can barely be heard.

I’m wondering about the K+K double twin, which has four pads, but I don’t think the leads are long enough to put the jack at the bottom of my harp?

I also know nothing about amplifiers. I’d like one with a battery, I wondered about the Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge….but it weighs 10kg. Bad enough lugging the Korrigan about. Any other ideas?

How easy is it to get to work properly, not have horrendous feedback etc?

Thanks for any help 😊

billooms
    Participant

The pickup that L&H installed at the factory on my 85CG was the K&K Big Twin (two pickups) with 18″ and 36″ leads. To get the longer leads, you may have to do a special order with K&K or perhaps order it from L&H.

I’ve not used any of the battery powered amplifiers. I run the pickup direct to the house mixer with a Behringer Ultra-DI (gives an XLR balanced output to the mixer).

harpist123
    Participant

I have used the KK Big Twin on Pratt Chamber harp (36 strings) place 1/3rd down from top of soundboard and 1/3rd up from bottom of soundboard. Worked beautifully! I don’t own an amplifier, but plugged into event PA system. No feedback. Projection was clear and audible in a room filled with 200+ talking and drinking guests 🙂

jaydg
    Participant

@harpist123 was that a ‘stock’ K+K Big Twin, ie not with the special leads that @billooms talks about?

(I’m in the UK, and our wonderful gov have made customs very complicated to buy directly from K+K)

harpist123
    Participant

Stock KK Big Twin.

harpist123
    Participant

https://www.kksound.com/instruments/harp.php — here is K&K website. Cables for Big Twin are both 1 ft long from rca connection. This would mean the upper piezo would only go up the soundboard from the point where you drill in for race connection. Mine was drilled in at bottom of my Pratt. So unless those KK cables were longer way back when I had them installed, the harp shop owner probably extended the upper cable himself, or ordered it longer. Maybe you should do a measurement on your harp, then email K&K.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.