harpcolumn

Performing Harps Network

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Performing Harps Network

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

One of the biggest problems for concert harpists has always been whether to tour with their own harp or rely on harps on location. If we had a network of reliable concert-quality instruments in all major cities, it would greatly facilitate harpistry. It seems that it is up to individuals to be willing to provide them in most cases. Do you have such a harp and are you willing to rent or loan it to a performer for a concert? By concert quality, I mean a harp that is in good condition, reliable, good sound, not hard to play, and in good regulation, with good strings. Some will prefer different makes, so we will probably need more than one harp in each area. Depending on the engagement, you could earn upwards from $100 for use of your instrument. Harpists earn fees from as low as nothing to as much as a few thousand, depending on the presenter.

I have done so in the past and found it to be rewarding, both personally and artistically. My harp was even used on a recording by Heidi Lehwalder with the Tokyo String Quartet.

I guess that’s why we don’t have one.

barbara-fackler
    Participant

Saul,

I don’t visit this site often and just saw your post. Yours is not a bad idea. I’ve been stuck with some harps in pretty bad condition during tours. Some were even delivered missing strings.

I do have a harp that I’ve rented in this way. The first time I was asked I agreed because it has been so difficult in the past to find harps when I’m out of town.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

I might be game.

Without knowing it, I would be inclined to agree. One issue I have had with some Salvi’s is the greater weight on the shoulder. It also depends on how it would be strung. But thank you both for the support.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies