harpcolumn

performance anxiety

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break performance anxiety

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Irene C
    Participant

Hello,

I have a harp exam coming up in a few months and am already starting to worry about it.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I’ve heard of it and I know people who say it helps a lot with fear of flying.

However, if you look at the ingredients list, it’s mostly grape brandy (that’s the “base” for the floral ingredients), so I’m not so sure… 🙂

It does tend to make people sleepy.

Irene C
    Participant

Okay, well that answers my question.

A little chocolate before you play may be helpful. The Real Rescue Remedy is being well-prepared. Try to be able to play with your eyes closed, or in the dark, with one shoe off, anything else you can think of that could go wrong.

paul-wren
    Participant

I’ve used a homeopathic solution called Stage Fright – Fear, It is put out by Newton Homeopathics. You might try a vitamin shop to find it.

Irene C
    Participant

Thank you, I will try

carl-swanson
    Participant

What’s your problem with beta blockers? They work great and are well tested for effectiveness and safety.

Irene C
    Participant

Hello,

I read your article

Irene C
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for

emma-graham
    Participant

I use rescue remedy all the time as I suffer really dreadful nerves. Beta blockers just left me feeling empty headed and unable to focus my mind properly. I never feel sleepy taking rescue remedy because you only need a few drops. There is also a version called Recovery Plus which I found to be fantastic. Other things to try are eating bananas (seriously!) and the homeopathic remedy gelsemium. I also saw a hypnotherapist and have a self help CD of the session we had. Its great for helping me relax if I am getting myself wound up before a performance. Top tip though – don’t put hypnosis on your iPod and then put the iPod on shuffle if you are driving with it playing!!!!

kent-vogel
    Participant

May I offer this idea going forward. How about everyone start having confidence in their performances. Confidence comes from being able to rely on your method. Your method comes from practise. Know what you are going to play,have control of it, and execute it. Then have fun with it! Don’t play just the notes, plays the sounds! And play ecstatically! This comes from over fifty years of musical study. I hope to live to 140 years, when I’ll be killed by a jealous husband. lol With every good wish!

kent-vogel
    Participant

Sorry for the typo, it’s past my bedtime. lol

Jessica A
    Participant

Always eat chocolate candy before you play.

Irene C
    Participant

Thank you everyone for all your helpful advice and knowledge.

Irene, you should be able to walk into a clinic any time and get whatever you need prescribed. That’s what I usually do if I need to see a doctor right away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics