harpcolumn

Pedal v. Lever Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Pedal v. Lever Harp

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Rachel Redman
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder! I’ve never had the blessing of actually playing on a cross-strung, but I have played on both lever and pedal. Currently I own a Lyon & Healy Troubadour VI and I really enjoy it.

Jennifer, I was asking as a harpist. I was classically trained in piano from a very thorough, eighty-year-old teacher who taught and played “the masters” (Bach, Liszt, Chopin, etc).

Due to my training, I wanted to play classical when I started playing the harp, but I couldn’t afford a pedal harp. However, I am very grateful for the opportunity to play the harp I’ve been blessed with, and I have branched out; though I’m limited, obviously, on the classical I can play, I still play some. I’ve actually been able to play some of my favorite, albeit difficult, classical pieces and improvised just enough to make them manageable on the harp.

Would I choose to have a pedal harp over my lever? Some times I think it would be nice, but usually I think not. Yes, it would be lovely to be able to play classical as it’s written on the page, but, I’m not playing for an orchestra, so I am thankful for the harp I have. After all, not everyone has the blessing of playing a harp!

Thanks to everyone who offered their two cents; it’s been interesting to “hear” everyone’s thoughts!

Rachel

hannah-roberts
    Participant

I’d have to say lever harp, because it’s so great to be able to take it anywhere easily, even my larger one!

deb-l
    Participant

your attitude is lovely Rachel, a good reminder to count our blessings.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Celtic music is so much about the ornamentation, and some of that ornamentation is almost impossible to do on a concert harp.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Speaking of arrangements Sarah, have you thought about publishing any of yours?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

One other consideration that occurred as I was getting to know a little more about harps in general was that it was extremely difficult when I began playing for me to see the strings, the music, and the levers all at once.

I went through all the suggestions for making the levers easier to see including painting the whole lever and stem with blue or red, putting colored elastic bands on them, and even putting tiny flags on them, but nothing helped.

It was also extremely difficult to see my music, so the combo was really frustrating. Finally one day I tried my teacher’s pedal harp, and although it was hardly an AHA moment, it did seem slightly easier for me to navigate than having to find the levers.

Since having bilateral cataract surgery, I can do either, and I do enjoy playing both lever and pedal. I practice pedal a lot more, mostly because of repertoire, but I truly love both.

Sometimes as musicians of a certain age we must make concessions and adjustments based on circumstances beyond our control. I make my decisions based on what will give me the most current and future musical satisfaction. In my case, that happens to be pedal first, lever second.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

Thanks Rachel!

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Really nice, Sarah! Impressive lever technique, too. 🙂

deb-l
    Participant

Sarah, you make the lever changing flow as easily as if you were plucking strings, amazing!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies