harpcolumn

Payment Protocol

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Payment Protocol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

I am wondering what the standard payment protocol is for harp music at a wedding ceremony.

Half down at time of signing contract (or with in a week at the latest)

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Sidney,

What I’ve found works for me with very, very few exceptions, is to send out two self-addressed envelopes with the contract.

I have a place on the contract where they can choose to pay 2 weeks before by check or the day of cash, money order,

lorraine-wiley
    Participant

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

What bothers me is that people just assume I play for free.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

> The groom is a doctor and didn’t flinch when I said it would be $225

Of course not. In most parts of the country that was a steal for him. Where I am it would have been at least $400.

If you present yourself professionally, they won’t assume it’s free. Just have confidence in yourself and don’t hesitate to deal with at the time they book you. You’ll get used to it and it will stop feeling awkward. If you don’t feel awkward about discussing the subject, neither will they.

Sidney Dharmavaram
    Participant

Where do you live?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

If you want to get ideas for your area, just ask around. If there aren’t other harpists ask guitarists and pianists. You should get at least as much as they do.

If you want to pay bills, you have to charge enough to live. Since we can’t gig 40 hours a week, that means the hourly rate is usually quite a lot higher than someone who has full time work with benefits will get.

I live in what is currently the third most economically depressed area in the US, incidentally. Flint Michigan is doing better.

I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in those articles, incidentally. Most working harpists think those surveys are nobody’s business and either don’t answer or give quasi-bogus answers.

Incidentally, I didn’t mean of course the doctor didn’t object because he was getting a bargain. I just meant of course he didn’t object. He hired a professional service and there was a charge for it. Doctors can understand that. 🙂

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Boy, there were a lot of incidentallys in that post. Sorry about that.

michelle-winston
    Participant

I have only been back to performing for about a year, so I have struggled with this a lot lately.

Rachel
    Participant

I only ask $50 for the deposit, and I usually receive the rest on the day of the wedding, but it often works to my advantage.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.