Panic over lowering humidity

• Participant
    sherry-lenox on #72760

We just had a gas fireplace installed the day before Christmas and it seems to suck the humidity out of the room at a really alarming rate.

I’m using a humidifier and a crock pot at the harp side of the room but I’m also conscious of the fact that too much concentration of humidity can be a problem too.

Is anyone dealing with this, and if so, any suggestions?

I’m watching the humidity slip below 50% on the meter, and just don’t know what to do to correct the problem.

ALSO we expect a blizzard to arrive in 4 hours.

HELP!!!!

Participant
    Susan Abken on #72761

Dear Sherry,

Is it possible to use the gas logs only once in a while, to move the harp to another location in the house, to let laundry hang dry (drip dry) somewhere in your home and to keep a pot of hot water steaming on the stove on low? What about opening a window a tiny crack to allow some fresh, damper air in? In some countries, the double-paned glass windows come with a tiny extra window for allowing fresh air in.

Perhaps a guitar humidifier could be placed carefully in the soundbox hole of your harp. It is a small rubber tube with a wet core inside.

A portable, digital, battery-operated humidity gauge is a nice tool to have. We keep one level of our home at 65-66 F, no hotter, with various instruments around, and just wear woolens and lots of layers.

Sincerely yours,

Susan Abken

Participant
    deb-l on #72762

hi Sherry, well the blizzard has arrived here in CT.

Participant
    onita-sanders on #72763

I do not claim to be an expert in this area. Just hope what I have learned about humidity will give some insight.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.