Opinions of Thormahlen Harps

Posted In: Amateur Harpists

• Participant
    unknown-user on #155287

I have just started learning the harp. I had a lap harp given to me.
    It is hard for me to hold. I am looking into buying a bigger lever
    harp. I was thinking of a Thormahlen harp. Specifically the Swan or
    Cygnet. Does anyone have any comments on either of these models? A
    second and third pick would be Dusty Strings or William Rees. I like
    the Celtic

Participant
    unknown-user on #155288

Hi Heide!

I’ve been playing the harp for a year–started on a Pakistani or “ghetto harp” and about a month later, bought a rosewood Thormahlen Swan with gut strings.

Participant
    kim-adamson on #155289

Hi Hiede,

Participant
    unknown-user on #155290

Hi Heide, If you scroll down approximately 66 postings you will find one called “crack in soundboard”.

Participant
    unknown-user on #155291

Your answers have all been great, thank you! I was wondering about the cracks in the sound board and varnish. Could it be that the humidity was too low? Also do you need to polish your harp with wood polish.

thanks, Heide

Participant
    unknown-user on #155292

Hi Heide!

In response to whether humidity is the reason for cracking.

Participant
    Alicia D. Strange on #155293

Hi Heide,

I have owned a Nylon strung Maple/Spruce Cygnet for a year (purchased 2003)… without having any cracking varnish issues.

Participant
    mary-savard on #155294

Hi Cyndee:

Participant
    unknown-user on #155295

Both Thormahlen and Dusty Strings are excellent harps with high quality tone and solid construction. I own a double strung Thormahlen Swan. Thormahlen is one of the few companies that build a full size double harp, and these harps are solid and stable in their construction even when they are subjected to twice the string tension. The lower tension of the Dusty Strings harps result in the base wires ringing for a longer period of time which is aesthetically similar to a wire harp and they generally have a brighter tone. The moderate tension on the Thormahlen allow for a wider dynamic range and more clarity in the base, which is more akin to a pedal harp, but it still has a folk harp tone quality. When choosing between harps of such high quality, you can’t really go wrong.

kay-lister on #155296

My lever harp is a Swan and I LOVE it!

Participant
    deb-l on #155297

Kay, do you have concert tension pedal harp gut strings on your swan?

Participant
    sherry-lenox on #155298

I have convinced myself that I need just one more new harp, and there are a couple very fine brands that I’ve played and am considering, but the truth is that once you’ve owned and played a Thormahlen there is just something about them that you can’t forget.

I unexpectedly have an old Thormahlen Swan visiting me today, and no matter how ridiculous it may sound, just strumming through a scale or two on that beautiful old harp just brings that old feeling right back again.

I would not give up my Serenade if someone offered me three times what I paid for it, and even though I’ll be playing the other brands that I’ve been considering, I can’t wait to get to Somerset to play some of the different Thormahlen styles that will be there.

kay-lister on #155299

Deb –

kay-lister on #155300

Also to add that the wood on my Swan is Bulbinga, which also will make a difference in sound.

K

Participant
    deb-l on #155301

thanks for the info Kay.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.