harpcolumn

Normal loss of pitch, or concern…?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Normal loss of pitch, or concern…?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hello, all.

I played an Ogden lever harp for years and just traded it in towards a 7 year old L&H concert grand. My Ogden kept in tune almost inexplicably, so I am coming from a harp I could sit down and play on most days. I also have a very sensitive ear and can’t abide poor tuning.

So, my pedal harp was sold by a family who’s daughter “stopped playing” and I don’t know how long ago that was. It was restrung and regulated right before I purchased it, about two weeks ago. I have played it every day, and it is 20 to 50 cents flat every day. It goes 5 cents flat pretty quickly. I played for about 2 hours tonight and tuned 3 times. Again, I have a sensitive ear and the 5-10 cents bugs me.

I live in FL, and the humidity has picked up recently, but my hygrometer has held steady at 60%. Is this normal behavior if the strings are only three weeks old? Could the soundboard be adjusting to being played again? I tried pushing in the pegs as I tune up, but it hasn’t made a difference. Any advice for an over-concerned new harp mom is appreciated!

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Alyson,

I live in Florida, too. My harps have good and bad days when it comes to being in tune. Because the strings are only 3 weeks old, the harp is in a new environment, and we’ve had some big swings in weather/humidity, I would not worry at this point. If you still have the same problem in a couple months, I would suggest calling Lyon Healy. In the meantime, you may want to talk to the tech who regulated the harp.

Sylvia
    Participant

If it was re-strung, it will go flat for a long time. You didn’t mention if the bass wires also went flat. Chances are, it’s the others. I hate new strings, and I go crank them up many times a day for a long time till they settle.
    Personally, I don’t believe a harp can be regulated with new strings. Because the strings are constantly stretching, there’s no way the regulation can be accurate.

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

I am also assuming the Ogden was stung in nylon, and nylon in general holds tuning for me for weeks at a time. (Sorry if that is an incorrect assumption.) I also seldom break strings on my nylon lever harps. This is not true about my pedal harp however. It goes out of tune more easily, and I lose twice to three times as many strings. Three week old gut strings are still new. Tune often and they will settle in. My favorite lever harp is a large gut strung harp, and it breaks strings and goes out of tune, just like my pedal harp. And as Sylvia said above, I have also heard, harp techs ask you to replace strings a few weeks before a regulation takes place. I hope this info will help. Best of Luck to you, and congratulations on the purchase of your new harp!

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. No, the bass wires are not losing pitch anywhere near as bad as the gut. The Ogden was strung in pedal gut, but I know I was very spoiled by its uncanny ability to stay in tune. I went away for three weeks once and middle c was still in tune. This makes me feel so much better. I had thought they should at least last through practice by now. I confess to having the “new mom” syndrome if anything seems amiss. Plus, I am playing with a community orchestra next month and don’t want the harp going out of tune mid-concert. (Perhaps, if it does go out of tune, I might blend with this orchestra better, ha ha).

Sylvia
    Participant

Another way to stretch the new strings faster is to push on the string and then wind. I saw my teacher do that once and asked what he was doing. That stretches it faster than just winding. Teachers should always volunteer info like that, but I guess they just don’t think about it as part of teaching the instrument.

So, yes, as everyone told me, the instrument has settled down and is now holding pitch very nicely. It has snapped 4 strings in a week. HAHAHA! If it’s not one thing it’s another 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.