Posted In: Amateur Harpists

Tammy Popielarz on #158788

I have just purchased my first harp a sharpscicle. I am very excited to learn how to play and will be taking lessons in a few weeks. The thing is I would like to know of a good book to teach me how to play. I know my instructor will give me somethings to work with but I cannot afford to take lessons every week so I want to learn as much as I can and have her help me with things that I cannot learn on my own including technics but if I can learn proper finger placement and what strings are what I hope I will learn to play songs faster. Any advice would be great.

Participant
    Pat Eisenberger on #158789

I don’t know if you want to just play casually, or if your first harp will be a stepping stone on a longer journey. I got my first harp before I had a teacher. I called the list of teachers the harp maker gave me that day, and the one I chose advised me not to begin playing until my first lesson. Your teacher can then instruct you in the fundamentals before you get into any bad habits. If you don’t have too long before you begin lessons, you can tune your harp every day. If it’s brand new, you can even tune it a couple of times a day.

That said, if you don’t want to wait I think that many people will recommend Pamela Bruner’s books. You can find them at:
    Heartland Harps

Congrats on your first harp!

Participant
    Karen Johns on #158790

I second Pat’s advice about Pamela Bruner’s books. I have two adult

Participant
    shelby-m on #158791

When you go to the Heartland Harps website, you should sign up for their FREE “10 Things You MUST Know Before Buying a Harp” pdf.

Tammy Popielarz on #158792

I want to thank everyone here for your great advice. I had my first class today and it went great. My teacher was great and I was taught several kids songs. She gave me a small variety to practice until next time. I also had a chance to discuss what I would like to learn and she said that we would start working on Christmas music next.

patricia-jaeger on #158793

Tammy, as you progress with harp you’ll need to know some music theory. A good free site is http://www.musictheory.net.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.