harpcolumn

New Tunes for Young Harpists

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp New Tunes for Young Harpists

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    kimberly-rowe
    Keymaster

This thread is a companion to our article “New Tunes for Young Harpists,” which appeared in the May/June, 2006, issue of Harp Column magazine. We asked teachers what their favorite repertoire choices were for beginning students, and why. (Contact us for a back issue with the full article.)

Please give us your input, and
    suggest your favorite teaching pieces here. Be sure to tell us why you
    like a particular piece, what skills it introduces, and what you feel
    it accomplishes in the learning process for a beginning harpist.

diane-michaels
    Spectator

To answer this,

unknown-user
    Participant

Well, in Betty Paret’s First Harp Book, I just love Big Brown Bear, which she follows with the N-E-S-T-L-E-S tune, which they probably stole from her. She has many wonderful tunes in the book, which I hope not to tire of. I love some of Salzedo’s Tiny Tales and his other music for beginners which introduce modern music wonderfully, and some of the Pathfinder Studies which were actually composed by Lucile Lawrence. Apart from baroque or classical tidbits, I like to be able to use classical settings of folk music from many cultures. There are some very nice collections of Hungarian folk songs by Kodaly, which were transcribed by von Wurtzler.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.