harpcolumn

New online beginner course by Alice Giles

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play New online beginner course by Alice Giles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Alice Giles is a phenomenal harpist and instructor. She has a number of online classes and today just offered a new 4 week 130 minute beginner class. When you take her course, you will have permanent access to the tutorial videos. You can find the link on her website http://www.alicegiles.com. Those who saw her on the Virtial Harp Summit will understand how she gets her points across so clearly and logically. Personally, I hang on her every word and plan to take her Hindemith Sonata course next Spring.

jsmoir
    Participant

I signed up for this about a year or two ago, started it, and then found a local teacher. It all seemed too ‘easy’- but, like all things, the devil is in the details. I came back to it (because my membership didn’t lapse) about four months ago (COVID) and realized that Alice’s approach (especially teaching lifting and placing) is nothing short of FOUNDATIONAL. She has answered all my questions, I am lifting and coming back to the strings, getting better all the time, and have asked her to do a Course for Beginners #3. She also now has a Harp Class option, which I would encourage teachers to involve their studios in! Her pedagogy is sound. Excellent! (FWIW, I am a college Voice instructor)

You may not have a local teacher with a similar approach, but there are a good number available, and probably any one of them will do lessons by video call. I do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.