harpcolumn

new LYON AND HEALY STYLE 4

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories new LYON AND HEALY STYLE 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi all!

I just saw this ad for Lyon and Healy’s new Style 4 gold pedal harp. https://www.lyonhealy.com/harps/style-4-gold/
    It’s stunning and comes in several finishes, including blue/gold and also sapele/gold. Has anyone played it yet? What is its price?

Gregg Bailey
    Participant

Hi, Jerusha,

The new Style 4 certainly is quite eye-catching; I’ve been quite taken by its visual aesthetic ever since L&H started promoting it! In doing a quick Google search, I see that the VA Harp Center advertises that model to be $70,000.

Hope this helps,

Gregg

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Hi Gregg,

Yes, it does, thank you! I am very impressed with its minimalistic beauty, and the soundboard design is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Would you characterize the overall design as Art Deco?

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi Jerusha and Gregg!

The Salzedo model is called Art Deco, so I don’t think this style description would apply very well to the Style 4. When I just looked it up, the Style 4 is described as “a modern classic.” The Style 11 is called “Art Noveau,” and I don’t think that would apply very well to the Style 4, either. Wonder what style L&H actually considers the Style 4 to be? I think it is very beautiful!

For comparison, Camac has an Art Noveau model, and their new Egerie is supposed to be “Art Deco.”

It is good to see your posts here, my friends.

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour

The curves of the column suggest an Art Nouveau influence to me. It’s decorative art at its finest, so if Lyon & Healy won’t say, then we have to ask someone who knows decorative arts. The decal on the sounding board may be a different style.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

It’s good to hear from you, Balfour and Saul!
    I looked up “Art Deco” on Google, and these are supposedly some of the characteristics that define the period: Symmetry.
    Layered shapes.
    Intricate line art.
    Rectilinear [straight line] geometry.
    Aerodynamic curves.
    Metallic colors like gold and chrome.

What a beautiful harp! I hope that someone who’s had a chance to play one will weigh in on its sound.

The style 4 uses design elements of the venerable style 16, one of which is currently for sale on vaharpcenter.com.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I love the blue – I am partial to the Salvi blue with silver (presumably not platinum!) too…

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

oops – try again.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Third time lucky – smaller again!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    balfour-knight
    Participant

Aren’t these blues beautiful? I love the Salvi Iris in natural, with the blue accents in the hand-painted soundboard, too!

Have a great harp day,
    Balfour

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi Jerusha and everyone! I was remembering an older thread where you asked harpists about their favorite Christmas music. I can’t seem to find it anywhere, but I hope all of you have Christmas gigs to play for this year. I am looking forward to doing a holiday church concert on Dec. 11. How about you folks?

Harp Hugs for the holidays,
    Balfour

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Just saw this post to YouTube which shows two harpists test-driving the new Lyon and Healy Style 4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNA0yID_qg
    What do you think of its tone? It sounds warmer than a typical Lyon and Healy grand, yet seems to be quite resonant, at least to my ears.

harpcontemplator
    Participant

As a rank amateur, I am unqualified to remark on its sound beyond that it’s very clear and pleasant. I’m not really qualified to remark on the style, either, but thought I’d remark that my first thought on the styling was Romanesque, or maybe Greco-Romanesque. Striking, whatever you call it.

It sounds constrained to me, like the finish is too thick, so it is not letting the sound get out, a pinched quality. Whether it would open up in time, I can’t tell. I wouldn’t say it is a typical sound for a new harp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies