harpcolumn

New harpmobile

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories New harpmobile

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kreig-kitts

After about three years using ZipCar to move my harp around when needed and do general errands I couldn’t do on Metro, I finally decided to purchase a vehicle again. I wanted something that would comfortably fit my 6’2″ harp and my 6′ self, which has been tricky. In a lot of the rentals I’ve had to scrunch up a bit, and I wanted a permanent vehicle to have more room, but still be something that’s easy to drive and park on DC’s crowded streets. I ended up with a three-year-old Toyota Venza. That’s not a car you see a lot but it’s a very good size for a harp. I fit the harp easily (angled a bit) while having plenty of room for my long legs. I’d recommend it get a look if you want something fairly roomy that still feels more like a car to drive. People who gig frequently with a lot of gear would probably want to stay with full size SUVs, the larger wagons, and minivans.

As an aside I rented a newer Ford Escape to take the harp out to fit it on the lot, and it is noticeably roomier than the previous models and the back seats fold over their cushions without losing space. The 2013, however, has had some problems with fuel economy and engine cooling, so people looking at one might read up once the 2014s have had more time on the road and see if they’ve worked those issues out.

Sonya Wiley

Kreig, do you have to move the passenger seat forward to fit the harp or can you carry a passenger? I’ve been eyeing the Venza thinking it might be large enough. I love my older Murano but I swear the newer models are smaller but I haven’t measured one.

kreig-kitts

The passenger seat is not a problem. I noticed today, however, driving on the interstate, that rear visibility in the model I got (2010) was quite an issue, especially the blind spots while changing lanes. I might exercise my 5-day rescission and go back to the drawing board. I live in an area where there is a lot of traffic on the streets and highways (Washington DC) so that is a concern for me. If your area has less stressful day-to-day driving conditions that would be less a concern.

Sonya Wiley

yes, i had to get used to windows on the Murano; visibility can be an issue; there are some cars out there i don’t know how they see out of; so much to think about and when you have car fever you really need to slow down and think of everything especially on a used car.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies