harpcolumn

Needed: Strange But True Harp Stories!!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Needed: Strange But True Harp Stories!!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I was playing Troubadour IV in church like a year ago, and when It was time for the closing hymn, I got up from me seat positioned on the altar in which I sat on to play the harp and headed to play my flute over the organist’s shoulder since the closing hymn is usually loud. But, as I made the first step from the altar to the organist, My foot stupidly got tangled in the wires that hook up my microphone. Right in the middle of a nice, quiet Hail Mary, here comes me rolling like a bowling ball down the second step- ensnarled in the wires.. I also brought down the microphone with me- which unfortunately banged my harp on the way down- leaving a bid scratch- and then finally whacking me in the face… ouch. It was awful! The organist and cantor had to help me untangle my poor legs. The priest even got a kick out of it- and although he continued reading the hail mary to the end, he lauged for about a minute. But the “fun” didn’t stop there!During the closinghymn, the ushers opened the side door- which was right near my harp- and from there can that sand that melted ice (this took place in late winter) and BAM! tipped over my music stand and learly tipped my poor harp over. I finished the hymn and tooka deep breath. *ugh*

unknown-user
    Participant

I Learnt a very important lesson with my experience, be prepared, one day it could happen to you! When I first started to play the harp, and knowing that I wanted this to be part of my profession, I decided to volunteer at community houses and senior residences to get some s experience playing in front of people, also to help build some self
    confidence. I was up at my cousins in Camrose, Alberta, for the summer,and since I brought my harp with me, I decided to volunteer at the local seniers complex. It was a larger residence and they actually had a small theatre room. I set up everything, was all ready to play, totally nervous, hoping I wasn’t going to pass out or something, and just as I was able to start, I couldn’t see the strings! The red and blue ones were fine, but it was all the other clear nylon ones. Cause you see, the floor of the stage was white, and they seemed to just melt away with the floor. So in the end it turned as a very, creative performance! Since then I always bring a dark colored blanket with me when I perform, just in case, cause you’d be surprised how mean times I’ve had to use it.

amanda-acosta
    Participant

I have a cat that seems to really like harps. She usually sits beside me on a chair every time I practice, and sometimes she even meows along with some thing I play.

amanda-acosta
    Participant

I have a cat that seems to really like harps. She usually sits beside me on a chair every time I practice, and sometimes she even meows along with some thing I play.

unknown-user
    Participant

My teacher once was playing at a private concert and she had invited me to
    come and listen, obviously. They were playing a Debussy trio for harp, flute
    and viola. I know my teacher had been complaining that there were sooo
    many pedal changes, and of course, right in the middle of a not-exactly-easy
    pedal change a bass string broke. Goodness that was so loud! And the funny
    thing about it was that an old man who had fallen asleep next to me then
    woke with a start, thought that it meant the piece was over and started
    clapping loudly.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.