harpcolumn

Need Help Deciding Rep for Senior Recital

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Need Help Deciding Rep for Senior Recital

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    alyssafaithhall
    Participant

Hi Everyone!

I need help finishing up the programming for my senior recital and I’d love to hear your thoughts on what I should play!

So far, I’m definitely doing the following…

-Hindemith Sonata (about 11 min)
    -Faure Impromptu (about 12 min)
    -Zabel “La Source” (6-7 min)
    -Bach Fugue in D minor (6-7 min)

This takes me to about 38 min of music, but I need to fill another 15-20 min and I’m wondering what I should fill it with???

I’m thinking about the Salzedo Suite of 8 Dances, Variations on an Ancient Theme, or Ballade, but I don’t know… I’m not sure if I should try to program more baroque/classical era music or more modern…

What would you guys suggest? I’d really appreciate any thoughts you might share!

Thanks so much!!

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

Don’t you have to get it signed off by your teacher? I know what mine would say – too predictable. She would not like Zabel and Faure (?Roussel Impromptu instead of Zabel), add something contemporary and much less well known, put in something fast and Spanish, maybe something classical period like Spohr Fantasie. Ballade is a great piece and about 10 mins but the hardest of all those mentioned by some way. How long have you got to learn it? Caplet Divertissements?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

From an audience and harpist viewpoint, I love what you have selected. I agree with Phillipa of having something showy, contemporary, or with Latin flair. Play something fun that you enjoy playing. Have a short encore prepared, too. I hope you will have your recital professionally videoed and recorded. This is a major event. Congratulations.

paul-knoke
    Participant

A Meyer or Krumpholz sonata, perhaps?

Do you know Songs of Nymphs by Marjan Mozetich? It’s a gorgeous, 4-movement piece for harp solo, originally written for Erica Goodman.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Hi, Alyssa,

I agree with Gretchen, I love the part of your program you have already selected! Are you familiar with THE YOLANDA KONDONASSIS COLLECTION? There are wonderful pieces in it that might complete your program, thinking of different periods of music and audience appeal. The Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie, as well as his Gnossiennes 1, 2, & 3 are very nice, on a quieter, Impressionistic side. Then something with flair, as has been suggested! There are also three Sonatas by Scarlatti in Yolanda’s book.

Wishing you good luck and happy holidays,
    Balfour

There’s a huge difference in difficulty between the Suite of Eight Dances and Ballade. Without knowing your playing, it is impossible to make a useful suggestion. The Suite is 20 minutes, so it would fit very well. But if you want a bigger ending, the Variations would work better, though it’s closer to 15 minutes. But you should discuss this with your teacher. How far off is the recital? Ballade needs more than a year to prepare, I’d say. I don’t relish listening to the Zabel. The Saint-Saens Fantaisie or the Spohr would both be more interesting and challenging. You could also use some pieces that are more recent, Berceuse by Flagello, Four Vignettes by Wagenaar, Four Caprices by Tcherepnin, and Lydian Song by Paul Creston come to mind. And then there’s my Nocturne, published by Harpiana Publications.

It’s always good to have some short pieces amid the longer ones. I have used the Musical Snuff-Box by Liadov, the Prelude in C by Prokofiev, among others. Variety and delight is key.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.