Need Harpmobile Recommendations

Posted In: Harpmobile Update

• Participant
    king2harp@hotmail.com on #226575

I am looking for a car to replace my 1997 Mercury Sable station wagon. I have a Lyon & Healy style 23 harp and need room for my McKay dolly, plus bench and stand. I’m looking for a car with easy/flat loading with a tailgate that lifts up (not side-opening). I might like a somewhat higher harp-loading area. I heard the Venza is good, but they aren’t making them anymore. Thanks for any recommendations you might have!

Participant
    GlissBliss on #226703

I’m in the same boat. The Subaru Outback looks big enough, but I haven’t taken a harp to the dealership to find out. Let me know what you decide.

Participant
    carl-swanson on #226713

I’m on my fifth Dodge Grand Caravan in a row! I think they are the greatest for carrying instruments. I can get up to four harps(concert grands!) in my car. The seats right behind the driver are now bucket seats that fold completely into the floor. You could have both of them up if you needed to carry passengers, and still get one harp into the car, plus all the other stuff.

Participant
    balfour-knight on #226758

I think Carl has the best idea for having the most room in the car! But I will add my two cents here anyway, ha, ha!

We have a new, redesigned 2019 Subaru Forester which has plenty of room in it for the two of us, a full-size concert grand Atlantide Prestige (Camac), the bench, the harp caddy, amplification equipment if needed, luggage for a trip, etc. The main thing is that we are 5′ 6″ and under, so the front driver’s seat is pretty close to the front while driving. If you needed to push it further back, the harp would probably not have enough room. The rear seats fold completely flat, so no “hump” or incline to overcome while pushing the harp in. Also, for inclement weather, you always have the “beauty of all-wheel drive,” as Subaru advertises.

My suggestion is to take the harp case (transport cover) with you to the dealership and see if it will fit in the car of your choice, much easier than taking the actual harp. Of course, to make double sure, go ahead and take the harp in its case. (I actually did that and then was asked to play the harp in the lobby while we were completing the sale!) I hope this reply helps, and thanks everyone, for all the good ideas!

Harp Hugs,
    Balfour and Carol Lynn Knight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.