harpcolumn

Need a question answered by any harpist who plays in public.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Need a question answered by any harpist who plays in public.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lourie-stewart–2
    Participant

I am addressing this post to anyone who plays harp in
    public.

What is the question most asked when you are playing in
    public?

tony-morosco
    Participant

“How long have you been playing the cello?”

And

“Don’t you wish you learned to play the flute”

Followed closely by

“Can you play Stairway To Heaven?”

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

Is the harp hard to play? My standard answer, “No, it really isn’t. It takes practice like anything else. It is however, hard to play at a professional

hannah-roberts
    Participant

“How long have you been playing?” and “Is it hard?”
    I have had some memorable questions about the colored strings (are they just for beginners, do you get to pick the color, etc.) One in particular I’ll never forget. I’m an American living in Canada, and the night after Obama was elected, a girl came up and asked if I colored my strings red, white and blue in honor of Obama!

Ref to 4

Hannah, Years ago a Lyon and Healy President (Danish, but I forget his name)came to my large city and gave a talk about the company, He mentioned that when American harps were first being built, other countries had been using green, purple and other colors and Lyon and Healy decided that we would set our own standard for string colors : the red, white, and blue of our flag. So that seems why you see red for the C’s, blue or black for the F’s, and clear or white for the rest. It has nothing to do with any U.S. president, past or present. So that girl who asked you the question was

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.