harpcolumn

Naming a duo

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Naming a duo

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I’ve been playing duets with another musician. We’re now serious enough about this to formally call ourselves a duo. As such, we came up with a name. I checked online to make sure no one else is using the name. My question: Is there a need or way to protect your music group name or is there simply an honor code amoung musicians that says you don’t use someone else’s name? (Big name groups get a trademark, but we’re not remotely in that league nor have the money to do so.)

katie-buckley
    Participant

I would say there is a bit of an honor code. I’ve been in a performing duo for 6 years now, and while our name is unique, I can’t imagine someone taking it. One solution, without going through the process of trademarking it, is to establish a website right away. Even just purchasing the domain name (which is cheap) will help others from accidentally choosing the same name. I think in general, we as musicians want to have unique names so we’d rather not take one from someone else 🙂 (Not saying it can’t happen though…)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.