harpcolumn

Morley Hempson 34

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Morley Hempson 34

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mary Song
    Participant

Hello,

I just discovered the Morley Hempson 34 and it looks beautiful. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Tacye
    Participant

I find the Hempson is a respectable student harp, easy and consistent to
    play and with levers which, in my experience, do the job.

Mary Song
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your experience. Which other harps will you recommend? I am an amateur who has been playing

Tacye
    Participant

I can’t think of any winter festivals.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

Hi
    I’m Norwegian, too, and I own a Morley Hempson 34. It is indeed beautiful, and all in all an adequate harp for learning. This may just be my harp, but it has always had a big problem with buzzing strings. This is mainly due to the levers, because they make some of the strings buzz when they are engaged. I believe the problem may be that they are made of plastic, and therefore tend to bend a bit away from the string (if you see what I mean, I’m not too good at explaining things) and not engage the string as much as they should.
    Another thing is the sound. It is not as good as I would like. I like a deep, mellow and warm sound in a harp, and my Hempson has more of a bright tone, but kind of flat and not very resonant.
    If I could go back and choose again, I would not choose it, even though it is very affordable compared to other harps. How about looking at the Ravenna 34, which has a lovely sound from what I hear (although I haven’t heard one in person) or a Lyon & Healy Trubadour. I’ve played several of those, and most of them sound lovely. These harps are a bit more expensive, but it’s worth a few months of extra saving, in my opinion.
    Or, if you really want great sound and still have a folk harp, not pedal, look at this one and listen to the sound samples: The Teifi Eos Celtic Harp. It costs a lot for a folk harp, at £ 2999 (almost 30 000 kr), but I think it would definitely be worth it. I’ve had two harp teachers comment on the absolute loveliness of the sound of this harp. Right now I’m saving up for my own pedal harp (am currently renting one, so the Hempson is not in use), but later I hope to be able to buy one to use for Celtic/Irish and early music.
    Where in Norway do you live? If you live near Oslo I strongly recommend that you join the School of Music (Oslo musikk- og kulturskole) to get a harp teacher. You would then be studying with one of the best harpists in Norway. Even if you only play for your own enjoyment, getting the right technique in will help you avoid developing bad habits that can ultimately result in injuries (worst case scenario). Also, you will learn a lot faster. I started out as self-taught, but have never regretted finding a teacher.

renate-kvalsvik
    Participant

By the way, if you’d like, I could send you a sound clip of the Hempson that I have recorded myself soon after I got it.

emma-graham
    Participant

There is a useful video of the hemson here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SgIitRJRA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It is a perfectly good student harp at a reasonable price. Several if my pupils have started on a rented one but most go for the better sound of a slightly more pricey harp when it comes to buying. The dusty strings Ravenna 34 is a popular choice as is the pilgrim clarsach.

The Ravenna can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGCtSoeTw08&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mary Song
    Participant

I am used to nylon strings, but I might also consider other options. Thanks for the other suggestions. Camac is

Mary Song
    Participant

How

deb-l
    Participant

I’m just wondering why no one considers Salvi Livia.

Tacye
    Participant

The Livia is about 50% more expensive than the harps under discussion.

deb-l
    Participant

oh I didn’t realize that.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics

Recent Replies